PIP and ESA , Being Turned Down For No Reason

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was turned down for ESA after my initial assessment. They stated I was fit to work and should do a mandatory reconsideration over the telephone. I was still turned down afterwards eventhough I have two numb fingers on my left hand and constantly dropping things, trapped nerve in right buttock, two bad knees where I can't even climb my own stairs in a timely fashion to get into my own flat, slipped discs in my lower back where I can't bend over to even wipe myself properly. I also have sciatica all down my right leg into my knee. I have sleep deprivation and weakness in my muscles as well as a lump under my left foot that stops me even more from trying to walk. My right leg gives way on me to such an extent I can't stand. I was turned down for ESA and not awarded a single point eventhough I'm also on antidepressants and two forms of antibiotics and about 8 different types of tablets. I was told I'm fit to work full time. When my mandatory reconsideration was taken over the phone I received a letter saying my decision was only made on my sciatica when it was clearly stated about all my other conditions as stated above. Nothing was left out. They even overruled my doctor who stated very clearly I am not fit to undertake any form of manual work. I've now applied for pip and know I'll get a reply in a couple of weeks. God knows what that assessment will state. Has anyone else gone through this before and should I of got something from ESA as of my health and mobility. Seems to me people are getting turned down for no reason when they clearly do need the support.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Join the many off us thats been told off esa that were fit for work their turning every thing down they would not likr it if it was them
    • Posted

Exactly. I think it's disgusting how genuine people are being turned down for help. Not being funny here but I believe they just pick who they want. The other day I was at the job centre and I clearly herd the advisor say to a client that he was getting pip. Now it's none of my business and I wernt being nosey but the guy was about my age in his late 40's wearing building clothes and seemed totally fit in himself. He even walked out the job centre faster than I can walk and I thought to myself how is he on pip and I can't even get ESA? One of those things I suppose. If the cap fits etc.

• Posted

I'm sorry but can't judge a person by just looking at them! Have you ever heard of mental health issues? there's such a thing as invisible disabilities and lots of people have these. Just because a person can walk faster than you can walk does not mean they don't have any other problems in daily life.

People can and do claim ESA and PIP for mental health reasons. You do not have to have a physical disability to claim any of the benefits. Please don't judge people when you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors.

• Posted

Yes I guess your right. It Wasn't ment to steriotype anyone. I was just saying that's all.

• Posted

It just makes me so angry when people judge others. There's people out there with Mental health issues that never go outside the door, either because there are too scared or because they don't have the mental capacity to know which direction to go. People that can't even tell the time, or count simple single figures without using their hands. Can't run a bath or shower for theirself because they don't know what's too hot or cold. Unable to go into a shop because they have no idea how much something is, how much money to pay or whether they would have change back. I take care of someone everyday who all of these issues and more.

Whether it's physical or mental issues, we should never judge others. I wish you good luck with both of your claims.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.