PIP and ESA confused over assessment

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I won my pip award at tribunal 15 months ago the award is ongoing to 2026 ,atos told a catalogue of lies ,the tribunal saw through this ,is even had apology of atos .now esa have sent me a capability assessment form asking the same stuff ,surely they are aware of my tribunal why am I having to go through all this stress again .is this normal or is this sour grapes on dwp part.also I have four life conditions that will never get better .could this be a mistake should I ring them and tell them I can send all the relevant paperwork produced in tribunal ..how often do esa reassess .and I know pip is a separate award but can esa alter a pip award .I'm stressed out and fed up .fighting the dwp is so hard any help would be appreciated thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad time.

This is normal as they are two completely different benefits with different rules and nothing to do with each other. Many people on PIP are able to work and do so therefore ESA and the ESA requirements that need to be met aren't the same.

You will have to be reassessed for ESA even though you have life long conditions and the tribunal paperwork for PIP will not change that.

All the best

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi Julie,

In some case PIP awards can be used to claim ESA. An Upper Tribunal ruling made on 17th January 2017 BUT it does depend what award you have for PIP. May i ask what PIP awarrd you have please?

This isn't the case for everyone claiming PIP, so if anyone is reading this then it really does depend what award you have for PIP. Some PIP and ESA Support Group descriptors are very similar. A PIP mobility award is one of them. Also significant mental health issues is another one.

The Upper tribunal decision was that if you're refused ESA or ESA support group then your PIP reports can be used for the MR decision evidence or sent to the Tribunal BUT there's absolutely no reasons why people can't use then as evidence when sending in the ESA50 form. Infact people do use them.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi pls can I ask ongoing award till 2026 does this also mean that no reassessment for p I p till then I am on p I p and it only last 3 years but good for you if this is the case for you I used my report for esa and was put into sg if that helps going through reassessment for esa at mo !!! What will be will pls stay positive kind regardsĀ 
    • Posted

Hi Happybee,

Yes Julie's PIP award mean re-assessment is in 2026.

Great news that you were able to use your PIP award for ESA SG. This is exactly what i was saying to Julie. As i said though this doesn't apply to everyone who has a PIP award. Good luck with your ESA.

• Posted

Hi i am in process of claiming pip after being on dla 12 yrs,, my most recent assessment for esa was 11 wks ago is it worth asking for the esa results to be considered think i had 29 points. Kim
    • Posted

Hi,

No, i'm afraid ESA claims will not be used for PIP claims, it's the other way round.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.