PIP and mental health

Posted , 5 users are following.

So a bit about me i have problems with anxiety, depression, psychosis and paranoia.

I lost my claim when DLA went to PIP and lost me reconsider.

Only recently I tried again for PIP as nothing is better for me and i hear they are more understanding on mental health now.

So my conditions effect me in such ways.. I wont ever leave the house. I find it impossible to talk to strangers, my words just don't come out and i cant look at them it scares me so i never even remember a face. I am underweight and do not eat properly. My doctors refer me to mental health teams but 6 months later nothing.. sleep for me is impossible, Sleep is very hard for me due to the way my head works. I find it impossible to keep a normal sleep routine and have been through the strongest sleeping meds but nothing helped me. I will stay up for days on end. I am not close to normal and believe me I wish i was. I hate being me all the time I wish i could have money and work and wish I could live a normal life and have friends and be happy but that seems a million miles away. I see things that are not there daily and get paranoid. I cannot even talk to my family with out having a panic attack. My health gives me panic attacks. Somebody talking to me gives me major panic attack. so many things do. even day light.

I'm very nervous for my decision. i made my f2f appointment although i couldn't talk and my career had to talk for me.

The assessor seemed very understanding and concerned so I do think she filled the form honestly.

Has anyone had luck with PIP and mental health lately? It would really help me out if I can get this...

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

HI Mymind,

Yes, the Upper Tribunal changed the rules for the PIP descriptor planning and following a journey BUT DWP haven't yet changed the descriptors to allow for this.

As you've already had your assessment then there's no a lot i can advice you on but i will ask did you send in evidence to support your claim? It's a very important part to the PIP claiming process.

Also was there any reason why you didn't take it to Tribunal the last time? If a decision doesn't go in your favour and you ask for the MR then there's a very high chance the decision will remain the same. Only 20% of MR decisions change, that's quite a low percentage. There's more chance of having a decision in your favour by taking it to Tribunal and appearing in person. Although people do ask for paper based hearings and they have been successful, the % of success is much lower than the current figure of 70% for those who appear in person.

If you're not successful this time then i strongly advice you to take it all the way to Tribunal for your best outcome.

You can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with that report.

My daughter claims Enhanced rate for both PIP and it's purely on mental health. She has never been out alone in her life and she's 17. I did send in huge amounts of evidence to support her claim and she was successful first time. This was only in around October last year. Lots of people claim PIP successfully for mental health. The only descriptors that were changed at Upper Tribunal were following and planning a journey. There's other descriptors that points can be awarded in too.

Hopefully you're not waiting too long but there's no timescales. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi I'm sorry your feeling so crappy but I can't say whether you will be successful or not, I have suffered with anxiety and panic disorders since I was 13 and although I have many physical disabilities and received high rate mobility and care I actually was given no points when it came to mental health parts, not to say yours will be the same, so long as you were able to forfill the criteria and submitted adequate backup evidence you should not have a problem, good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.