pip and mobility

Posted , 5 users are following.

can anybody tell me if what  i can claim......am on enhanced daily living component and stanard mobility.......can i get help putting shower room in?

also help with heating......sorry but some people telling me one thing.....and other people saying an other...please will somebody please help....also can i get 50% of road tax

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Myra

I'll only write what I know! On Standard rate you are entitled to a 50% reduction in road tax and you are entitled to a blue badge. I only know this becayuse It's the same award as I have (Standard Mobility)

I think you may get help with insulating your home through government scheme's but be careful of cold callers.

There are some knowledgeable people on this site so they may be abe to help you further

Sorry I can't help more

All the best x

• Posted

Thank you for getting back to me......donyou know where i apply for my 50% road tax.....its bad the way we are treated......but i will look deeper into this

thaqnks again x

• Posted

You may be entitled to a Disability Facility Grant from the Council. It is means tested and no doubt will be over subscribed - but check.

Apply for the 50% Road Tax from the DVLA

A Blue Badge is automatically given if you get Enhanced Mobility. Anything less, you have to apply to your council and they will most likely put you through a mobility assessment - the care component doesn't count for anything.

• Posted

thank you les.....i have a blue badge.....i just got it 3mths ago as i never knew i could apply for it......and ive been on DLA for over 3yrs... someone said i can get heating allowance do you know anything about that?
  • Posted

Hi Myra,

This I will set out easily for you, answering each question in order, if possible. There is one area which is heating which I need more information on, before I can explain in detail all benefits you can claim, or should be registered for.

"Wet Room" or Shower Room

PIP Enhanced Daily Rate and Standard Mobility to get a shower, you will need to do the following:

Contact your local council and Ask to speak to the Adult Care Team, once you get through then ask for a Full Review by an Occupational Therapist. They will probably ask what you require, which is a "Wet Shower Room" conversion. You can request other disabled aids, at the same time - or if you anything difficult they can offer you various aids to help you. The price of what you require can come directly from the Occupational Team Funding (if an item is required quickly and under £1,000), if it works out above £1,000 then they will apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant up to £5,000 - above this figure can mean you paying the difference, but your case is looked at in more detail. Having anything done on a DFG (Disabled Facilities Grant) can take upto 6 months from when you apply to when the work is completed.

Heating

Help with heating, this can have numerous answers. Are you asking about Central Heating or help with your bills? Help with bills can come from the Government, in various ways - but which ones depend on your current benefits, if you are registered disabled, and there is other things you can register for, but I would need to know Benefits you are on, if you have family in the house and if you have children still in Further Education (Many people do not realize this can effect your entitlement to other benefits, even if the child is over 18).

Road Tax at 50% off Entitlement

You are entlted to 50% off if you are receipt of PIP Standard Mobility Rate. You can apply for this directly online or enquire at your local Post Office. These days it is far quicker to do everything online.

Additional Information Required

If you can get back to me regarding the heating matter, I can tell you what you are entitled to, some are age dependent. With respect to electricity there are numerous benefits that people do not know about, because they are not paid by the Government or your Supplier, which does sound confusing - but I can explain to you what you can claim, which can depend on current benefits being claimed, your age, if you are disabled and registered, etc

Regards,

Les,

• Posted

Hi, As regards the 50% Road Tax, the DVLA's computer cannot process it. If you like me are at an age that remembers a time before computers, then you have to apply on a form(post office) for the tax direct from the DVLA after sending them a cheque, the log book, the insuranace cert and MOT. Don't ask me why, it seems that the government didn't think this through and consult the DVLA before they offered it through PIP.
    • Posted

Hi Les,

Hope your ok and many thanks once again for your help......am 54yrs of age and my husbands 56yrs old.....hubby took early retirement too look after me....when you said registered disabled what do you mean....am on high care and standard mobility......and thats the only income i have,by hubby gets a small pension and we have some savings......the 50% road tax has been a really mix up some say yes and some say no......i just feel my husband has worked all his days so if its out there why not apply for it

Les you have been so helpful 

many thanks again x

• Posted

Hi Myra,

You are more than welcome, you have to ask these days to find out anything, the same way that I do! lol  They say this is the age of communication, from what I've seen it is a lack of communication and an anti-sociable society, proof is always in the papers, everyday Facebook is mentioned in one way another. Our children are made to leave phones and tablets in their bedrooms, so we can talk at dinnertime like proper adults and not using keyboards or video/chat which we find very rude and unsocialable.

You are Registered Disabled already because you receive PIP, you can ask your local Council for a card, this is how it was done years ago or if you have a EU Blue Badge (The type with a very long number across it), this number is also your Disability VAT Exemption Number, should you or an Occupational Therapist purchases disabled equipment on your behalf.

I can PM you about the 50% Road Tax paying / refund and PIP Mobility Standard Rate is automatic entitlement to the 50% off Road Tax. I will PM you the Goverment website address after this message.

With reference to your heating question, are you asking for money off your bills? There are 3 you can apply for, you do not get all 3 though. If you give me your Electricity Supplier I will get you the details for the one scheme for your supplier.

There is also another scheme which I will look up for you, basically because you have a disabled person in the property, you can claim money (Current rate for 2015 is £75 for the first hour) if your electric goes off, you are then paid £70 every hour after upto £700 (This amount varies on the Grid). I will go into more details about this is in the Private Message with details on how and where to register, because it is not your Electricity Supplier, which confuses many people. It will be far easier to tell you everything and pages you need to visit in a PM, because of Moderation on these forums to me is just set far too high.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks Les my supplier is scottish power or eletric and gas x
    • Posted

Ah, thank you!  Do you or your husband claim Pension Credits?
    • Posted

I contactedy energy supplier to inform them thaty husband is terminally ill with cancer and I need to keep the house warm. They have reduced my monthly payment by over half and the extra I use will be written off. I'm also trying to find out if I can claim anything else. I already have PIP and s blue badge for him.
    • Posted

Hi Kitkat.many thanks for letting me know, did you have to send in paper work to your energy supplier?sorry for asking but know body tells you nothing,.and thats good to know.i will let you know how i get on,

you take care and keep your chin up xx 

• Posted

Hi Myra, all I did was to phone my energy supplier up and told them that I was told that people who are terminally ill can get s reduction in the energy bills. They put me through to macmillen nurse who deals with energy queries . she asked questions about the treatment and cancer that my husband had . she then contacted us 3 days later to day that we were accepted on the scheme . we start from now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.