Pip and universal credit sick pay

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffer with borderline personality disorder and after a long time seeing physiatrists and consultants was awarded enhanced rate pip for 3 years but refused mobility should I ask for a reconsideration? I don't want to lose my pip, also I had to go on universal credit in September 2017 which is the most horrific confusing benefit and process, I've handed in a doctors note and only received the sickness forms on the 2 nd of December! They've now decided I need a face to face assessment which is worrying me sick why would I need an assessment when I've been awarded 3 years pip? Will I lose my pip if they say I'm fit for work? And they also say it may not be back dated to the 18th of September when I claimed? Why? Please someone help 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, that i know of you won't lose you PIP.  That's different all together.  I think the f2f is for the ESA type benefit.  It is slightly different but just go through your evidence and put your case forward to ESA assessor.  It's a nightmare for those with Mental Health issues but has to be gotten through.  

Hopefully others will be along to help you further.

Goodluck

• Posted

Thanks for replying I really appreciate it I beggars belief that pip could say your not fit for work along with physicists etc and esa could say you are? I've had an esa f2f in the past when I started out with this process and was refused so that's why I'm worried as yes I can feed myself etc which is what some of these silly questions ask but some days I have these bpd episodes and have to be prompted to eat wash get dressed even get up out of bed or I wouldn't do these thing s 

• Posted

Hi Tony,

First your PIP award. When was the decision made on your exsisting award?

UC/ESA and PIP are completely different benefits. People claim PIP and work so being awarded PIP does not mean you're not fit for work. It means you have a disability that puts you in less of an advantage of another person and the extra money PIP gives allow people to live as normal a life as possible. The extra money helps to pay for extra things disabiled people need.

Most people on ESA or UC if it's rolled out in your are need a face 2 face assessment. This is to see if you have a limited capability for work. These assessments are there to see what work you CAN do and not the work you can't do. If you're found unfit for work or with a limited capability for work (WRAG) there were new rules brought out in April 2017. No back dated money will be paid. You will remain on the amount you were on before.

If you were found with a limited capability for work related activity (Support Group) then you'll be paid back dated money to the 14th week of your claim (same for UC claimants)

No you won't lose your PIP if you say you're fit for work.

• Posted

Hi Denise it was awarded at the beginning of December I didn't realise I that people could work who were also on pip. Also I'm not on any amount of esa at all I've received nothing since I started the claim on the 18/9/17 that seems massively unfair they don't back date the money when it took them until the 2/12/17 to even send the sickness forms out, I've done everything I can on my part and supplied all my details it's a disgrace really just to send a letter out has taken 2 and half months in which time I've struggled immensely 

• Posted

Hi,

You are outside the 1 month date to ask for a MR BUT they do allow up to 13 months if you have good reasons why you didn't ask for the MR within the first month. If you decide to go ahead with the MR process then in your MR request letter then you need to state your reason for not asking within the first month. You also need to bear in mind that you can lose everything you already have.

With your Universal credit claim because it's completely different to ESA or JSA i won't be able to advice you the reasons why they're not paying you. I would advice you to get further advice form a disability advice centre or your local CAB.

• Posted

Thanks Denise, I have just been reading about new style esa?  Should I be getting something though? I did initially phone esa and it all came about that I had to go on universal credit, I was on tax credits which I got more of and part housing and council tax benefit as my partner is a nurse who works 16 hours but now on uc we get less money and no hosing benefit etc should I phone them and inform them I'm on pip? 

• Posted

It's a ll so confusing and stressful I'd rather be working and notvhave to deal with any of this my partner helps massively but it's such a stress I literally can't work though. 

• Posted

I didn't know you had a partner, sorry. Does your partner work?

• Posted

That's ok, yes my partner works 16 hours a week she earns good money as she s a practice nurse I don't know if that hinders me or not 

• Posted

Ah, yes this would affect your Universal Credit claim. I'm guessing you were claiming Contribution based ESA and not Income Related?

• Posted

Entitled to have a benefits calculator for Universal Credit, i'd advice you put all your details into that. It will tell you what, if anything you're entitled to. Those calculators are only accurate if you put all of your correct details into them.

• Posted

I wasn't claiming any I just phoned up to start a claim as for well over a year I wasn't earning a penny or receiving and benefits we were living off tax credits and my partners wage I have used the calculator but I receive nowhere near what it says I'm entitled to the uc amounts change every month for some reason and last month just before Christmas my partner was payed early as most  people are and we only received a third of what we usually get as they put that wage and the wage before down as one big wage as it worked out one day into the previous month if that makes any sense? Thanks for all your help Denise I honestly do appreciate it 

• Posted

Unfortunately your partners income will be used when working on means tested benefits, this is why you were refused ESA.

With UC the amount you earn affects what you  get each month. The more you earn the less you get. This includes being paid early, overtime etc. Universal credit is very complex and there's not many people that understand it, including DWP staff. I'm sorry that i wasn't able to give you any good news.

• Posted

Don't be sorry Denise I so appreciate anyone that's taken there time to reply and give me any sort of information as you've said it yourself the dwp staff basically and as I've been told off a few different supervisors/ mangers that they don't know what there doing or talking about as they don't fully understand uc themselves, surely they should receive the adequate training? This is people's lives that there dealing with which at most times especially over the phone there so rude and blasé. If I had the opportunity to work there I wouldn't judge anyone as they seem to do and I'd go the extra mile to ensure the customer so to say was receiving the correct information and service. It's very difficult when you don't know one month to the next what your going to receive and there's no way of changing that situation or challenging anything about the process as I said most staff are rude and not trained maybe there frustrations are taken out on the most needy people as we have had to basically beg and borrow monthly in order to just survive. Thanks anyway Denise 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.