PIP appeal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was awarded zero points all round and received a letter saying my DLA would now stop and that I wouldn't be getting any PIP.

I called the number on their letter and said I was far from happy with what appeared to be rubber stamping and that I hadn't even seen a doctor from them so how on earth could they possibly have assessed anything.

I started getting the paperwork ready for an appeal and have an appointment next week for the doctor to ask them to help sort it out.

Today I get a message from PIP that they have decided to look again at my award and that I don't need to contact them any more as they are looking at the claim now.

Is this standard practise by PIP/ATOS or am I just getting more of the same 'go away' treatment ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm not sure what is going on with your case but it might be useful to contact your local cab as they have more knowledge and understanding of how these cases work
  • Posted

Hi Imust

I would imagine that after contacting PIP and telling them of your dissatisfaction they proceeded to the first stage of the appeal process which is a mandatory reconsideration.

You can’t appeal to a Tribunal without first going through MR which is supposed to take no longer than a month. If the DWP don’t reverse their decision (normal) you have an option to appeal.

However, you are right to be suspicious of the DWP and you SHOULD contact them just confirm what is going on.

• Posted

Hi ImustImust, like you I was awarded zero points after an "assessment" which was a joke, previously I had high care law mobility. I have asked for mandatory reassessment, and so far I've heard nothing! My extra complication is I can't use the phone, so as they apparent don't use email I have had to do things by post, not even an acknowledgement. Yeah, the answer is the CAB, but locally they've had their funding cut, the thought of getting there and waiting for ages is stressing me, and, besides, I have my pride and independence, I am an intelligent person and I want to handle things myself, not have to get someone else to make a phone call. I know this is now an unreasonable desire, we aren't citizens, but paupers who are forced to beg for alms, but still... Surely no email access is breaking the equalities act as it discriminates against some disabled people?
  • Posted

Hi there. Just to say i had the same thing happen to me when they stopped my PIP. I rang them up and asked for a Mand Recon. They confirmed they were doing it with 3 text messages. Two weeks later i had a letter saying i would need another assessment before going any further.  ta.
    • Posted

I do hope that you challenged them as to why you needed another face to face assessment. One assessment should be enough to gather all of the facts. If you do have another assessment I would make an official complaint citing their total incompetance in wasting your time having to go through the system twice.
  • Posted

Thanks for the inputs. What I found most curious was that when I told them I wanted to appeal that they advised me to get the paperwork sorted out first. The message I received today said that they are reassessing it with no mention of needing any paperwork or professional input.

I had already started on my GP to get him in action to refer me for up to date diagnosis which without I fail to see how any accurate assessment can be made. As I say PIP seem to be saying that they don't need these.

• Posted

So you have not had the opportunity to be grilled by ATOS or CAPITA?

It would seem therefore that the decision you received was based entirely on your application form. They are entitled to do this if you send in enough evidence and there is no need to have a face to face assessment as it is clear that you would be entitled in any event based on the application form or it is clear to them that what you have said is enough to deny you PIP - they believe that having an assessment is wasting their time and money as you would still not be entitled if you had an assessment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.