Pip appeal date - finally ! What to expect??

Posted , 7 users are following.

A year after applying for PIP for a variety of anxiety disorders, panic attacks, agoraphobia and depression, and being awarded 0 points for care and mobility on original award and at MR I now have my tribunal date for 3 weeks time.

I really feel strongly, as does my GP ( who has provided information ) that I qualify for PIP but I'm really nervous about the tribunal. I Know how it works but does anyone know the kind of questions that will be asked? If DWP send a representative will they try to make me out tobe a liar?

I'm so worried they'll try and trip me up and confuse me to the point I might not answe correctly??Anyone got any advice?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi im sure Denise will give a lot more advice regarding tribunal than i can offer but i do know that the people assessing you at the tribunal dont work for PIP and want be trying to trip you up.

Anything they do ask will be relevant to your case only and i dont think that anyone else can possibly tell you what they will ask you

Just speak the truth and all will be as it should, have you arranged to take someone with you

• Posted

it really depends on how your condition effects your daily life regardless of what conditions you have, if your able to go out drive go shopping and to work they may ask what does your condition limit you doing. Have you asked for a copy of your assessment to see what they wrote

• Posted

Hi,

At the Tribunal there will be 3 sometimes 4 people on the panel. A judge, Doctor, disability adviser and sometimes someone from DWP. They will be asking you questions specifically about you and how your conditions affect you, so it's impossible to advise you on the sort of questions they wil ask you. They will only take into consideration what you were like at the time the decision was made.

You should have had the "bundle" and inside that should be everything that's been sent previously to support your claim. This will be the evidence, PIP2 form, assessment report and the PIP1 form. If you have any further evidence to support your claim then this should be sent to HMCTS to arrive no later that 10 days before the hearing. Don't take it with you on the day because doing this you risk it either not being used to support your claim or your hearing being adjourned because they may not have time to read through it on the day.

Sometimes a decision can't be made on the day, if this happens then they'll write to you within a few days.

You'll have to answer all the questions yourself, unless you have an appointee and then they will be able to answer them on your behalf. You can take someone with you but this will only be to support you. If you do take someone with you then the Tribunal may ask them at the end if there's anything they want to add but this doesn't always happen.

71% of those who appear in person have a decision in their favour. It's nothing like a face to face assessment and they're a lot more understanding. Remember that a Tribunal has nothing to do with DWP, they are totally independent.

Good luck.

• Posted

I am going back 25 years when I went to tribunal for re instatement of my DLA so things may be very different now.

I had someone from Welfare Rights with me and he said to me that if they asked me a question and he thought it would be disadvantageous to me to answer it he would say to me "You do not have to answer that question Miss Williams." In reality I think all I did was to confirm my name and address and let him do the rest of the talking!! Successful result I am happy to say.

Good luck. Keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah DLA and PIP are completely different benefits and soo much has changed since your last encounter with DWP including the fact that now refusing to answer questions put to you by the tribunal would possibly make it worse not better, DLA was a benefit claimed mainly on a diagnosis not so much on how it effected you.

I hope that when your claim for PIP becomes ready for transfer everything goes well for you.

• Posted

Hi,

Being represented at a Tribunal now doesn't mean that they will be able to speak for you when answering those questions. When the panel ask you questions they expect you to answer for yourself because only you know how your conditions affect you, no one else. The only time someone can speak for a claimant is if they have an appointee.

Alexandria is right, a lot has changed in 25 years.

• Posted

I to am awaiting my pip date .I feel like yourself .which does not help how I feel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.