pip assesment tomorrow any advice?

Posted , 6 users are following.

after me sending back forms in January I had to chase my appointment up anyway me and my husband are off there tomorrow

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sara

just be as if it's a really bad day for you, like that's how you always are.

Hope it goes well for you, glad you have support!

• Posted

My advice is to exaggerate how difficult things are for yourself.Have a look at the Descriptors online too so you will have some idea of what they are going to ask you. I have now had two home PIPS assessments one where I got 12 points last year then in Jan due to an assessors incompetence I got 7points So having been awarded two years on enhanced rate when I am now in the support group for ESA and not working, nothing. I am fighting this illogical nightmare right now. So good luck
  • Posted

thanks for your advice had.my appointmentioned today I feel it went well lady seemed nice well nicer than the first lady last year so fingers crossed
  • Posted

HI,

So glad your assesment went well...

I am thinking about applying for PIP , If you don;t mind me asking, what sort of questions and examanations did they do and did you act like it was a really bad day as advised by others?

I am really nervous about having the assesment after hearing all the conflicting results other members have has..

Really hope all goes well for you !!

• Posted

hi she asked if I ever have a good day I said no they ask what u can and carnt do how it's effected. me and what area hurts more than others I said it's pain head to toe constant asked what meds I was on and been on and any medical evidence I took everything with me they ask how u got there well my husband drives that's my way out of the house they asked me to raise arms far as I could also bend and then see how hard u can push legs up off a bed etc
    • Posted

Thanks for the info...

Thats exactly how I am feeling too..I never seem to have a good day just a bad day and then a flare !!

I really hope you get the result you want and need from the assesment

Good Luck !

• Posted

thanks me 2 this is my 2nd time of applying for it iv just lost my job becouse of.my attendance I'm now having equipment fitted around my home to give me some independence back I feel the fatigue is the most fustrating part of fibro I hate it just want some energy
    • Posted

Hi Sara

I am with you there...I can mostly handle the pain I get every day with pain meds but with me the lack of sleep and the overwelming fatigue that can happen at anytime is the worst part of fibro !  I have also had to leave my job as it was very physically demanding, and as soon as I started in the morning (after getting out of bed as stiff as a statue!) I felt the pain radiating in my back I knew I shouldnt be doing it. Then after about an hour I would feel like I was walking through thick mud just to get from A to B due to severe fatigue..  I had no concentration and constantly worried about what was wrong with me. I left work and was diagnosed with fibro last July. I thought that I would feel much better after giving up such a heavy workload and would improve and get a much less demanding job..but infact the opposite has happened. I can do less than I did before and sleep worse than ever !!!

This is why I am considering applying for PIP as we are really feeling the loss of my income and I cant see that I can contribute financially anytime soon!!

What happened the first time you applied ?

• Posted

U have to listen to your body and paste your self it's hard to get uset to the hole fibro situation there's so much u have to come to terms with and knowing there's no cure makes it quite hard and upsetting when I first applied for pip I was not dignosed with fibro I was just under investigations with hospitals but since being dignosed November just gone I thought I'd try again 2years it took to get a dignosis it's been a struggle and not not knowing what the he'll is up with u is a stress isn't it becouse u know u have this pain and fatigue but don't know why I'd put in for the pip what is the worst that can happen they say no??u just fight it that's what I intend todo if I don't get it x
    • Posted

Hi

Well I took the plunge and phoned to apply for PIP today !

I just have to wait for the form, any advice on how to do this would be more than welcome!

Please keep us posted on how everything goes for you

Take care!

• Posted

aww good there's loads of advice on this page and other websites about the form it's quite straight forward just all about your condition etc
  • Posted

Hi sara.

The only advice i can give is to answer each question as if it was your worst of day's, don't use the phrase good day's as they will use those against you. i called them less symptomatic day's to indicate i never have GOOD day's. as let's face it we never have day's without some sort of symptom. Also be mindfull of the descriptors as they say for each activity you have to be able to do them repeatedly,reliably and within a reasonable amount of time so make it clear just because you can do something once on a less symptomatic day you wouldn't be able to repeate it without causing yourself a flare up in symptoms. Finally and probably the best advice i can give is. THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND,THEY ARE NOT ON YOUR SIDE. They will smile at you act like they really care etc, THEY DON'T. They want you relaxed so you feel more at ease and slip up, answer their questions and only ellaborate  to further your own cause.don't volunteer information they havent asked for.

Good luck..

Gill

xx

• Posted

Great advice I agree how they make us trust them by being over nice. I certainly thought my assessor aty house could be trusted and even told her of the nightmare I had had with ESA . Which then meant I was coherent and communicative etc. Fibromyalgia makes me over anxious and makes me talk too much

• Posted

Exactly!!!... They certainly cannot be trusted. I also babble when i'm nervous and my assessor said i was very chatty and showed no signs of anxiety.. in my reconsideration letter i asked them what anxiety is supposed to look like in their opinion?..

pffft!!!.x

• Posted

Does that mean that me bursting into tears was seen as no signs of anxiety. I was also told in my report that my partner drives my sons to school when I distinctly told the assessor that they go by school bus every day. What makes me furious is that there is is no one to address this to except to wait over 4months to go to court.
    • Posted

Oh they do lie on their reports. mine said i wasn't on any medication when i had 3 boxes of prescription medications on my table in front of her.. so i not only sent the pics in but also payed for my gp to write a letter stating i was on medication.. my decision was over turned on mandatory reconsideration cos there was no way the assessors report would stand up in a tribunal and knew i may end up making them look really bad if i took it further. it shouldn't be allowed to happen, these assessors need calling out, they are messing with peoples lives with what seems to me like spite. 

I hope you get the result you want pollmadoll,give to em booth barrels.

xx

• Posted

Really helpful info...

Thank you !!

I have not applied for PIP yet but I think i will have to as I can't see myself returning to work and holding down a job.

• Posted

Hi amanda. Have a look at the disability rights web site, they have lots of really helpful advice on claiming pip and the language they use and what it means for you.

you don't need to pay for their booklets etc, (you can if you want) but i found enough info to get my pip without having to pay for it. 

Good luck if you do put in a claim.

x

• Posted

I watched quite a few you tube clips last night on what Glenda Jackson thinks of Ian Duncan Smith and Atos etc also the horror of what sanctions can do to a previously law abiding hard working British citizen . Today I had the phone put down on me when PIPS case manager rang me back when I said I refused to go to court over this. They are so rude and bullyish when they are the ones in error not us .Again Atos put the phone down on me this afternoon while I was arranging to get the complaint pack sent out to me when I asked her what her name was for my records she sighed and cut me off.
    • Posted

That's disgraceful, maybe speak with your local MP about it if you can. i bet if they got involved it would be sorted ASAP.

It makes me really angry that they behave in this way towards the most vulnerable.

xx

• Posted

Thanks again,

I will have a look at that website and hopefully get some pointers in how to fill in the form and such

Take Care

Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.