Pip assessment 15 June

Posted , 4 users are following.

I applied for for pip change of circumstances on account of my rheumatoid arthritis and finally received invitation to an an assesment on the 15th of his month. First time I applied I was given a home consultation and this time I have to go to an assessment centre even thought I have supplied more information than the last time. I am a bit worried about this because my mobility has worsened as well as my health in general with anxiety. Moreso given last assesment was at home and this time they have seen it fit to make me go to them. Am I reading to much into this or what?

I am worried sick any appreciate any pointers for consultations at their centre

Thanks

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

When you filled out the form did you request a home visit? You'll most likely need a letter from your GP if you want another home visit. I would advice you ring the assessment centre first thing Monday and request a home visit, they'll most likely refuse without a GP letter stating why you want this, so next step would be to ask your GP.

If you can't get this letter and the assessment centre is far from home then you can cancel for one closer to home, bearing in mind that you can only cancel once so think carefully before making another appointment. If you're going to them for the assessment can anyone go with you? How are you planning on getting there? Driving, someone driving you? taxi, public transport?

I know it's too late now but the problem about report changes is they'll most likely call you for another f2f assessment which is what they done to you. Did you send in more evidence to support your condition has got worse? If so what did you send. Evidence is important part of the PIP process because you have to prove those descriptors apply to you.

Lastly if you do go to them then they'll watch you from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. I'm sure it's very much like a home assessment but in the centre. I've had 3 assessments in the past but not a home one. They'll ask you questions based on what you wrote on the form so if you kept a copy of this then please read it before going to jog your memory. They'll most likely ask you to do some physical things (raise arms, legs above head, behind back etc) if you can't do any of what they ask then please tell them and the reasons why. Assessments can last anything up to 1 hour. When answering questions do just answer with a yes or no, if you can't do something or have difficulties then tell them why. Hope all this helps.

• Posted

Hi Denise

I sent in a letter from my gp, a letter from tne rheumatology consultant and counsellor who is helping me with anxiety issues. I also sent photos of lesions I get in my armpits, scalp and so on. I tried to describe my condition to the best of my ability. I am currently on standard rate for both elements but my condition has deteriorated and I have had to give up work last February. And yes I did request a home visit and first time I did get a home visit and thats why I am worried how this time they have asked me to attend their assessment centre. This poi t is really worrying me and making me think maybe my evidence wasn't deemed strong enough

• Posted

Hi Denise i did as you said and they have sent me another letter today insisting they want to see me at assesment centre. They advised me to send my letter from consultant to DWP not to them Artos. Disappointed
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear this. Sometimes they can be extremely annoying when they refuse a home assessment. If you sent a letter form your GP (not Consultant) stating the full reasons why you can't attend one of there assessment centres and they still refused, there's nothing else you can do but go i'm afraid. Hopefully it won't go against you. Reporting changes is always very risky and something that i'd never do to be honest. The letter from your consultant was this evidence or a letter stating reasons why you need a home assessment? Sorry don't quite understand this bit.

• Posted

Funnily enough I also got an invitation to a PIP assessment on the 15th! It's my first application so I'm really anxious about it. Also have mobility issues so am thinking about using a wheelchair. Usually I just don't leave the house, but I'm guessing there will be a lot of walking involved to get to the interview room.

• Posted

Hi,

Do you always use a wheelchair when you go out? If you do then yes i'd advice you to use this for your assessment. If you don't usually use a wheelchair then i would advice against using this.

• Posted

Hi Denise

But it appears if they observe you walking it kills your chances chances of a mobility component award

• Posted

I'm sorry but you're going about it the wrong way. It's not the greatest thing to do to use an aid for the assessment if you don't always use one. It's giving a false impression. Someone could easily report you. I'm being honest here in saying that you should always be honest during these assessments. Tell the truth those that don't will get caught out in the end. Not everyone who uses a wheelchair will get Enhanced mobility. Are you planning on self propelling? (pushing yourself in this chair)

• Posted

Also PIP isn't about not being able to do something all time. It's about being able to do them safely, reliably, without pain and discomfort.

• Posted

I don't usually use a wheelchair and I'd tell the assessor that. However, I can't usually walk more than 40-50 metres and am mostly housebound. I suppose I've made the choice to stay at home rather than attempt to go out and use mobility aids. There is no way I can walk the distance needed from the car to the assessment room. I couldn't self propel, as I get pain and numbness in my arms when attempting repetitative movements. 

• Posted

40-50 metres would only get you the standard rate of mobility, Enhanched is 20 metres or less. If you can't self propel i'm guessing you must be taking someone with you? I'm sorry but i'm just trying to help. I've had 3 of these assessments and i've done my research a lot! You really do have to be careful what you say and do in the assessments. They watch you from the time you arrive to the time you leave. Did you send evidence to support your claim? As much as possible to give yourself the best chance. You'll need proof that those descriptors apply to you.

• Posted

I'm not expecting to get enhanced, Denise. A family member is driving me there and will come in with me. I did send a lot of evidence, yes - 32 pages of medical reports and letters. I have ME and Fibromyalgia, both of which are fluctuating conditions ( and for me not under control yet) so I've explained really clearly on the form how things vary day to day for me. I appreciate your advice and would like to know your thoughts... Do you think instead of a wheelchair, I should perhaps attempt to walk but take a folding chair so I can keep stopping to rest when I'm dizzy and in pain?

• Posted

I also have Fibro, and many other conditions. Fibro will most likely never be under control, well it isn't for me anyway. I claim Enhanced so it's possible. For you i think it would be better to take a folding chair because with the wheelchair you don't use that everyday. I use a stick everyday and a mobility scooter when out shopping etc. I chose not to take my scooter with me and just used my stick. It didn't go against me in any way. I geniunely can't walk 10 metres without stopping in pain and discomfort. Anything else you want to know then please do ask. Remember that everyone's condition affects them differently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.