PIP Assessment

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone

As some of you know I suffer with fibromyalgia, anxiety and depression (severe), well I was told by my GP to apply for PIP as I am struggling really bad and my conditions affect me very bad.

I applied back in March and finally had my home assessment done today. It seem to go well, the lady was very nice and went through everything thoroughly with me. She even asked if I was having a bad day today, as she could see I was in a lot of pain and discomfort - I’ve been bad for the last week as I had a really bad flare up.

After hearing all the horror stories, I was very anxious and felt sick but it seemed to go well and I felt at ease.

Just got to wait and see now, normally 2-4 weeks she said.

How has everyone else’s PIP assessment experience gone, feedback would be appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Everyone's different because our conditions affect each of us differently and PIP as you know is all about how your conditions affect you and not about a diagnosis. Did you send in evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

I have to admit i've never had a bad assessment for either PIP or ESA but like i said everyone's different.

You read a lot of bad stories on the internet where the assessment provider was nice throughout the assesssment and when it  comes to reading the assessment report they have told nothing but lies, the claimant goes on to having been refused. What we don't hear about is the good stories.

To have any chance of a successful PIP claim you do need to send in relevant evidence to support a claim.

Now your assessment is done middle of next week you should ring the DWP and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with that report. When you receive it somewhere in the report there will be boxes with dots. You'll need to look online at the PIP descriptors and match those dots up with the points in the descriptors. Add them up and this will tell you what, if anything you scored. There's 2 parts, mobility and daily living and you need at least 8 points in either or both of these for an award.

There's no timescale to decisions some wait approx 2 weeks and others can wait as much as 8 weeks. It all depends on back log in your area and how long it takes for them to return both reports back to DWP.

Hopefully for you it won't be too long but like i said, do ring next week for a copy of that report.

• Posted

Hi Denise what counts as relevant evidence? Im not on any meds or under any consultant for my M.E.  Yes still waiting for that brown envelope to go from DLA to PIP!

Sue 

• Posted

Hi,

Evidence that shows how your condition affects you. Have you never been to see any Consultants or anything in the past? You can back it up with more recent evidence, like a written diary, a letter from someone that knows you well. You can ask your GP if there's anything in your medical records that you can use but there maybe a charge for this. A letter from your GP if they will do that, some GPs refuse to write letters for benefit evidence.

Don't rely on them contacting anyone because it's very rare if they do. You do hear of people saying that their GP was contacted BUT it's rare.

• Posted

Hi Donna glad you have had your assessment and that it seemed to go well, hopefully your will achieve the results that you need, Denise has given you good advice so not much too add from me but good wishes
  • Posted

Thank you for all your help. 

Denise I did send in evidence, copy of my consultant letter for the diagnoses and therapy dept letters.  

Actually I never received these back....?

They also asked to access my medical records as my GP surgery sent me the form out to consent or not, in which I did.  

We will wait and see 

• Posted

No problem.

They never return any evidence you send, which is why it clearly states on the forms to only send copies of your evidence. Future appointment letters aren't classed as evidence, if that was what you sent.

• Posted

I hope you have done well. I have my pip assessment on mo day I'm dreading it already get pip but I've told them I'm suffering severe depression anxiety  . Still they not send me a home visit  I've had one twice at home so don't see why it's so different this time . !!!!! Let you know how I get one hope the advisor is pleasant . I also have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis and loads of other things 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.