PIP Assessment.... Not Awarded

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have received my PIP Letter yesterday after having a Home Consultation recently although I did not feel happy with how my assessment went due to the way it was conducted, I still feel totally let down receiving 0 points on every section. Like many others I have battled with depression for over 20 years and fought through life until 2 years ago when life got on top of me for many reasons, stalked by my husband for 4 years, my son diagnosed with Paranoid schizophrenia and trying to hold down a job demanding job working with dementia patients I was put on sick with Anxiety which has gone from bad to worse and following a hospital stay earlier this year with severe pneumonia I was also diagnosed with early stage COPD... I was advised to apply for PIP.... Not only do I feel like ive been made too look like a complete fraud reading thru the decisions but also feel hurt by the whole report. My biggest issues are not being able to leave home with my anxiety due to having panic attacks whenever I came in contact with other people either on the bus in the supermarket etc... I also suffer with physical pain.. Stomach pain headaches and breathlessness. All of this has been twisted too say I can stand up and be seated showing no sign of pain and that I could walk 12 metres in my own home without suffering shortness of breath or anxiety so I am capable of walking 200 metres outside the same and as I was not having a severe anxiety attack in my own home I front of the assessor I am capable of mixing with people and going on journeys without feeling overwhelmed, nervous or distressed. Added to this she stated I am not on any medication for my SITUATIONAL ANXIETY.... Confused by this comment I researched the word only to find there is no such form of anxiety as SITUATIONAL and that its a term often mistaken for General Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety which leads me too believe she dosent have a clue really and as I am on 150mg Sertroline per day for anxiety I think that rules out her statement "I am not taking any medication for my Situational Anxiety' cos yes I have medication for anxiety and her diagnosis does not even exist in medical terms.

So please can anybody advise me whether that alone is grounds too say I have been unfairly assessed and if a M. R. would be in my favour

Thankyou too anyone who can help me cos I really dont know where too start in appealing this decision.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    I had my PIP reduced by 2 points so had to give up my car. I cannot walk or stand for a time and have severe anxiety. But because I never took my wheelchair on holiday (I used ones from hotels, shopping centres, museums etc when needed) I lost my appeal. I applied to appeal that decision and unlucky for me got the same judge that dealt with my tribunal to look over it again. There was no way she was going to change her decision. I have now applied to the Upper Tribunal.

    I don't know if I'll be lucky enough to be heard again as you can only appeal on points of law - nothing else!!

    They are very strict now but I'd advise you to get some help with your appeal etc

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I've also had PIP taken off. Gave me 0 points. I'm so disheartened. MR was also refused. My next step is to appeal to court. I have been through this before and I did win at court the last time but the whole process was very challenging for me. Can I do it again? I don't think I have the head space and energy to fight once again. The build up of going to court really knocked me down. They don't see us day to day on how we struggle and get through life. By the way most of the assessors are vile! My last assessor didn't even look at me when she asked me questions. Just sat there typing on her computer. There's no point to mention the assessor because they do it with everyone. The main thing is to basically fight against their decision and your reasons why you think their decision is wrong. Good luck x

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thankyou for the help, mine was the same head in the laptop yet said I made eye contact throughout, I'm glad they don't suffer with anxiety cos it's not nice, I spent years thinking I was a normal with stupid thoughts in my head before I found out I'd been suffering with anxiety probably from childhood

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Looks like a pattern then with most assessors. I say most because there is one I've come across who has actually spoken to me like a human being so I do appreciate the assessors who do have decency and respect towards us.

    I hope you do appeal and prove them wrong. Fingers crossed for you x

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi,

    You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR, which you should put in writing.

    Despite the lies/contradictions that may have been told in the report, the DWP/Tribunal won't be interested in any of those. All they will be interested in is where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you will also help.

    Any complaints about the report should be sent to the health assessment providers, details how to do this will be on their website.

    Only 18% of MR decisions change, so you'll very likely end up taking it to Tribunal. Appearing in person will give you the best chance of a decision in your favour. 74% of those who appear are successful. Only 5-8% of paper based decisions are successful.

    Do be aware that PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Did you send evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

    It's a very long process too i'm afraid. Tribunal waiting times alone are huge with many people waiting in excess of 1 year for a hearing date, from the time your appeal is accepted. Add this onto the waiting time for the MR decision and it could be 18 months. Ridiculous but true.

    Good luck.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up