Pip assessment this week! Any advice? Terrified!

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi all,

Been diagnosed for about six weeks but have had fibromyalgia for at the very least six years. Been messed about every step of the way by the doctors. 

I have really bad social anxiety and agoraphobia too. Amongst many other things.

how long does the exam take? And how long until they tell you an answer by letter? I'm sure I will get turned down as that seems to be very common experiences for people on here.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi EarthaKitt

it's not an exam, although it feels like one, it can take about one to one and a half hours, but you just have to get through all you can with them about your illness. If you have someone who knows what you go through then they can go in with you, but it's helpful to write yourself a list to take in with you explaining your daily struggles and how fm affects you, then if you are nervous you can read things off it.

Also if you have any medical reports or doctors letters etc take them with you and give them to the nurse and she will take copies for herself.

Most of all try not to stress too much as this always makes things worse. They should let you know in writing whether they think you are eligible within a couple of weeks, and if you aren't happy with the decision you can appeal against it.

Hope all goes well 🙂

• Posted

Thank you so much Boqer! I will make notes as otherwise I will go blank! 

Brilliant advice! 

👍🏻 fingers crossed for Tuesday! 

• Posted

Hi there,

I had an assessment 3 years ago, jointly for DLA and ESA as I applied for both at the same time. My advice to you is to take every single document for EVERY medical condition you have, as well as taking all your medication with you.

When I had mine I slept in (after being up half the night worrying) and didn't have time to write a list of my medication, so instead I popped it all in a bag and took it with me. It turned out to be a very good move.

I was actually being assessed on the basis that I have a skin condition called Hidradenitis Supperativa which causes severe mobility issues at times, and that was all I was going to mention. But as the assessor went through the bag she asked me about all the medication, my inhalers for asthma, the eye drops for an small vision problem, the peppermint I take for iffy bowel, and most importantly the tablets I take for my mental health. She took all of it into account in her report, which turned out to be a successful claim for both ESA (support group with SDP) and DLA (H/R care, L/R mobility).

At the time I was awaiting diagnosis for Fibromyalgia so never mentioned it. By the way, I know I seem to have a lot of conditions but appparently a lot of them are connected!!

Anyhow, my only other advice to you is remember that it's not about what conditions you have, its how they affect your ability to live your life. So be as honest as possibke. And most importantly, the assessment doesn't start in the consulting room, it starts as soon as you enter the building. I have a friend with a knee condition that means she needs crutches constantly and can't bend one leg, but as she managed to open the door to the building by herself she didn't qualify for anything (she found this out during her appeal).

Sorry for going on but I hope some of this helps. Good luck smile xx

• Posted

This is all really helpful stuff. Thanks so much nikki1734! It does feel like you are going into battle! Which is pretty crap when you are already fighting other battles! I had my physiotherapy appointment today for yoga classes in January . I used to train four hours a day six days a week I miss the mental clarity being fit gives you. Mum has pmr/gca so we are going together. One nice thing out of this mess! I asked about massage etc but was told no. I could kill for a back rub! The lady was lovely but told me "fibromyalgia wasn't progressive".We all know different. The extent of my pain has spread massively in a year. The lady then asked "how I feel about being in pain/disabled for the rest of my life?" I think that answers itself doesn't it? Thrilled of course!

i have yet to be contacted by the pain management clinic but I have been there years ago and know they can't really do anything. Bummer dude!

I am really pleased though the paperwork that was meant to go to the doctors and pain clinic has turned up here today so that's great with the confirmation from the consultant about all my diagnoses and meds so that's an unbelievable bit of good luck so I can take that Tuesday.

Thanks everyone. This is such a lonely path. I am single and no friends or children. Dad lives in Thailand not really into being Dad and never was. I hear from my brother a few times a year. Just my brilliant mum and I. I do feel support from people on here. 

Hope you all have something to put a twinkle in your eye.

👍🏻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.