PIP Award / Other Benefits Advice

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there

First time on here.

I am currently in the ESA Support Group, and after a 16-month battle (via tribunal) have just been award PIP (Standard Daily Living / Standard Mobility). I have two questions. 

1) Will my PIP award (and back pay) affect my Housing Benefit...?

2) Due to PIP, my wife can now apply for Carers Allowance. Again, does this affect Housing Benefit?

Many thanks, and I look forward to any responses.

Kind regards, 

Mr Worry x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Great news on the PIP award!

1/ No your PIP award will not affect your housing benefit because it isn't means tested for any other benefits. Carers Allowance more than likely won't affect it either. It is a taxable benefit but because it's so low then no it won't affect it.

2/ Your PIP award however may get you an extra discount on your Council Tax, this would depend on your local council though, so ring them and tell them about your award.

3/ if you have a car your Standard mobility award will also get you 50% reduction in your road tax, which is great. To apply you'll need to send all documents via post along with cheque/postal order and the correct form (which i can't remember the name of) sorry. Hope this helps smile

• Posted

Another thing, your back pay won't affect your housing benefit, for 1 year at least. It's disregarded for 52 weeks if it's over £6,000.

• Posted

Thanks Denise for the detailed response. That's great.

I guess it's the same with my wife's Child Tax Credits, being so low might not affect this either. 

I have the PIP until 2019, but I am sure my ESA reassessment is due after 12 months (which will be December this year) I never had to attend last time, they just used medical evidence from a form sent to doctor, so fingers crossed its the same process. 

Thanks again Denise. x

• Posted

No problem,

I highly doubt it would affect the tax credits but you do need to tell them to be safe. Remember your PIP award, you'll be reviewed 1 year before the award is due to end, bad i know but it's what they do.

• Posted

Thanks, wow - that's like next March then. So soon! I best start keeping all my evidence, it's a joke and so painstaking! 

• Posted

Yes indeed it is! Yes keep all that evidence. The only possitive thing about those reviews is the form they send you is much shorter! The rest of the review process is exactly the same as the first time.
    • Posted

Thanks Denise, you have been so helpful. Thank you again. I will keep you posted. Thumbs up for Denise!! So happy :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.