PIP benefit For CFS/ME

Posted , 11 users are following.

Does anyone know how bad CFS/ME has to be in order to claim the PIP benefit? I am very tired most of the time and can't get my housework done as a result. I live alone so have no one to help and when I go shopping it exhausts me. Even a shower exhausts me.The only benefit I currently receive is employment support allowance. Mary

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How long does it take fir the pip to get to the doctors checks 
    • Posted

I'm not sure as I haven't had any experience of it. I've heard it can be 16 weeks? But others my know more. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Hi, you can get P.I.P. even if you work at the lower rate.  It is based on your mobility and care needs.  You have to score I believe 8 points for lower rate and 12 and over for higher rate which will give you the mobility element.

You must fill in the form as your worse day ever that you can remember.  If you go to Action for M.E. site, you will find an awful lot of advice about benefits.  I found a fact sheet which I presented to my G.P. when I was applying for ESA and was called for an assessment.  The fact sheet was guidance for doctors to ensure that their patients got the benefits they were entitled to and basically guided the doctor's what to include in their letter.  I did not have to go for an assessment and was put straight into the support group.  I always tell everyone on this site to check out Action for M.E. site, it also has a welfare helpline, advice on relationships, family, a whole multitude of help and support.

BTW don't use words such as occasionally and sometimes when filling in the forms as this implies that you are only occasionally not capable.

All the very best.

Tx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.