Pip benefits

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all im looking for some advice on pip,I've been for my face too face and awaiting a decision on the other hand ibe been doing some research online,if you are working and you get accepted for pip you are also entitled too the disability element of working tax credit now what I want too know if I'm accepted for pip would the disability element of working tax effect my housing benefit? If this is the case would anyone benifit from pip ?as you would need too pay rent with your tax credits being more ? I'm a little confused and would appreciate if anyone had any information on this thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pip is extra money in your hand and isn't usually taxed or taken into account when getting other benefits.   x

• Posted

Hi there thano you for getting back too me I seen that pip was a non mean benifit which means that it's my money,what I want too know is when u receive the disability element of the tax credits do you need too pay rent then?
  • Posted

Hi Claire

Yes the disability element of your tax credit award would affect your housing benefit. I might be wrong here but from what I understand you don't need to be in receipt of PIP to get the £2,970 per year disability award. If you are awarded Enhanced daily living then you would receive another £1,275 per year giving a total award of £4,245 per year or £81 per week on top of your standard working tax credit award.

I was in work and claiming both which meant I received no Housing Benefit at all as my full WTC award worked out to £133pw. I was still better off claiming WTC and paying rent.

However, you circumstances will almost certainly be different to mine so it is possible that you might still qualify for some housing benefit.

Any PIP award is completely disregarded and will never have any affect on your Housing Benefit.

• Posted

I was still better off claiming WTC and paying rent.

I agree that in some cases you are better off financially claiming the extra WTC and paying the rent and sometimes it is financially important not to claim a benefit as you may lose out.

These important decisions should be made knowing all of the facts and permatations. Anybody that feels that this is a problem for them should first of all contact the CAB or Welfare Rights to ask for their opinion and calculations before deciding which way is best for them given their own circumstances.

I remember a case a while back where a Guarnteed Pension Credit - Assessed Income Period award was in place and the claimant applied for IIDB. They received the IIDB award which in turn knocked out the GPC award to zero as well as Housing/Council benefits.. The claimant then found that when applying directly for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Benefit, both were refused as they had savings over £25,000 which didn't previously affect the GPC award.

In that case they lost hundreds of pounds a month all for the sake of a small IIDB award!!!  

• Posted

Hi thanks for getting back too me ill give them a call and do a change in circumstances I I've been awarded the low rate off pip and really cant afford too pay full rent thank you so much for you advice
  • Posted

Does anyone know if you are only on the standard rate off pip if you still qualify for the disability element of tax credits? As I've been told three different stories telling me about the element,I was told you can still claim the element because I have a disability and I'm working no matter what the rate off pip I'm getting but then I was told you can only get it if your on high rate ? Can anyone help me out ,thanks
    • Posted

Claire I think the confusion comes from the fact there are 2 different rates of the disability element in tax credits. The first which is £2,970 per year (or £57pw) is paid if you have a disadvantage which makes it hard for you to get a job and keep it. You don't need to be in receipt of PIP to get it, you just need to fit one of the descriptors and have that confirmed by your GP.

There is an extra £1,275pa (or £24.50pw) on top of the other award if you are in receipt of the enhanced level of daily care in PIP.

Your circumstances would appear to be that you qualify for the extra £57pw but do-not qualify for a further £24pw as you are only in receipt of standard rate daily care for PIP

• Posted

Ok no worries thanks for that info,am still confused what I'm getting or not getting I was told because I'm workin I can still get the 57pw element because I tick all the boxes with working and on pip etc,I'm probably going too have too wait until I get my new calculations through from tax credits thanks for yiu help
    • Posted

I think the best way to describe your situation is that PIP in your case is irrelevant because you are on standard rate not enhanced.

As said to qualify for the standard disability element of WTC (the £57pw)0 all you need to do is fit one of the descriptors. The HMRC may want this confirmed by a doctor but as you are in receipt of standard rate PIP you almost certainly fit one of them, Google the descriptors and see if you match one of them.

To qualify for the second part of the disability element (the further payment of £24.50pw) you need to be in receipt of Enhanced Daily Care which you are not and as such you will not qualify.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.