PIP CLAIM

Posted , 4 users are following.

Afternoon,

I am wondering if anyone can advise me.

​My mother and a family friend have offered to write a letter based on disability (Dwarfism) and how it affects me and describe me on a good and bad day.

​Are they allowed? Are family relatives allowed to write?

​Please let me know.

Thank you

Natalie

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yea I agree there is nothing stopping family members from writing a letter in support.

However, as well as describing how your Dwarfism affects you they should also add any personal care they provide which meets the descriptors; to give an example Descriptor 1 Preparing a Meal.

I assume that being so small means you can't actually use a full sized cooker. This would qualify you at least 2 points because you would need a chair for example to stand on to reach the cooker and that would be the 'use of an aid' because of your disability.

If you have trouble standing on the chair and you need another person to ensure you complete the task safely this would score 4 points. Of course you will need a credible explanation why you can't stand safely on the chair and link it to your disability. But to be honest it should be dead raving obvious to the HCP.

• Posted

Hi Natalie, you also need to expand on all the aids you need to help you through the day, I am presuming your about four foot tall maybe a bit more so do you struggle with stairs,
    • Posted

Hi, I am 4ft 4, Yes i do struggle with the stairs, people say i look like i have really high heel shoes on by the way i walk up stairs. I cannot cook my own meals as the hob is face height and with pans and pots it is basically taller then me, i tried before when i stood on a stall and i fell off and dropped the pan and burnt a hole in the floor. I cannot put my own washing on the washing line or carry the washing basket as its too heavy and big for me, i require a step to use the toilet and i cannot wash my own hair or my back so i have to ask for help.... I always have to call for someone to get the shower head down from the wall because its always too high. Im totally ashamed about all this. Over the past 3 years i started to suffer with my lower back, this is due to my torso being a average size but limbs are not.

​My walking ability or standing is not good. I always suffer pains in my legs and back while walking, im aways stopping after 15 foot because im in agony and that is on a flat surface.

​My GP wrote a letter for me about my poor walking ability but she had put 50 metres instead of 50 foot, i am worried about that. Is that something i can tell the assessor if i get that far?

• Posted

From what you have said you would score 4 points for needing assistance with preparing a meal. There are no points for help with washing clothes or putting them on the line. You would score 2 points for assistance with washing and showering. Also you would get 2 points for using an aid for toilet needs making a total of 8 points (standard care) worth £57.45pw.

With your mobility 50m is the maximum for standard mobility which attracts a payment of £21.80pw. You might face a bit of a fight to get this as it would have helped if the GP had put a lesser distance. It will probably come down to the assessment and what the HCP thinks.

On the Daily Living side I think you have a creditable case for standard care. I don’t know your full circumstances but there are further points available for social interaction. This would depend on how you view yourself and any problems you have with self esteem due to your dwarfism.

If that was the case then it might help to mention this on the mobility side as 4 points are available if you need someone to accompany you on a journey due to any Mental Health issues.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply,

​That worries me, I have been in contact with Mobility and because of my disability i would need an adaptated car, but that can only happen if i receive enhanced mobility.

• Posted

I don't want to sound nasty Natalie but enhanced Mobility is VERY hard to get as it is designed for the most physically and mentally disabled.

I understand you suffer with a genetic disability but it is hard to visualise how you would qualify for enhanced Mobility because of Dwarfism with no supporting medical evidence that you can't walk more than 20m. That said I don’t know your full circumstances I’m just going on what you have posted so far.

Even if you don’t get enhanced mobility DL standard care of £228pm is putting you in a much better position than you were before.

• Posted

I notice our discussion has been deleted, Anthony97723 i am use to those remarks. x
  • Posted

My comments seem to have been removed. Oh well onwards and upwards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.