pip claim for bipolar and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi there ive been claiming lower rate dla  carers and mobility and was awarded it until 2017 ive just recieved the new pip form which i find destressing, i suffer with bipolar and suffer with severe panick attacks i tried to kill myself two years ago by throwing myself through a glass window resulting in major surgery. ive also tried two suicide attempts since then im on respiridone ive had behavioural councelling to which nothing has worked, ive heard so many horror stories of people with these conditions being purposely taken off pip and not awarded any points can anyone give me any advice on how to fill out my form or who could help me im terrified of losing my benefit as id not be able to go out at all (taxis everywhere) not been on a bus for over 8 years i can feel myself going over the edge again and wish i didnt have to go through this any help will be appreciated 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jerri

PIP is based on a number of descriptors which can easily be found with a Google search. A claimants needs to score points for each descriptor (there are 10 descriptors for Daily Living & 2 for Mobility). The first target is 8 points for either DL or Mobility which gets you Standard payments, 12 or more on either gets you Enhanced payments.

What you need to do is describe how your disability affects and interferes with your ability to carry out the Descriptors such as Preparing a Meal, Taking Nutrition, Washing/Bathing, Dressing/Undressing, Monitoring a Health Condition, Social Interaction and Budgeting.

Generally with Mental Health you receive points for prompting/supervision/assistance in doing any of the above. Prompting is usually the most common as those with MH illness often need prompting because they have no motivation to look after themselves properly.

For example you could write something like “I need prompting to prepare a meal as my bipolar condition means I have no motivation” and then refer them to any supporting medical evidence you have. Do exactly the same for the other descriptors and explain the need for prompting.

At the end of the PIP2 form (section 15) you can add other information, this where you can tell the assessor about your attempted suicides and how difficult you find life living with Bipolar.

• Posted

hi there thankyou i went to an assesment with atos two years ago and was imediately placed into esa support group , now i have one person telling me the assesment for pip is the same as if you where going for it for esa is this true? then on the other hand others are telling me ill just fail anyway doesnt matter how bad my mental health is as they want to off the mental health criteria.i was thinking about going to pathways to see if they will help me with the forms its so distrssing also i find it difficult to express to people how difficult my life is and cant word these things properly i know ill probably fail and will have to go to a tribunal which i have been to in the past and won! but its the feeling of havig to go through that again as i know how it affected me then i just feel so lost! 
    • Posted

Hi Jerrii

The format for ESA & PIP assessments is similar but they are looking to discover different things. An ESA assessment looks at your ability to work a PIP assessment looks to find if you need extra help because of the way your disability affects you.

Don’t make the classic mistake of believing that your condition is enough to get PIP, it is not. It is how your condition AFFECTS you which are most important. With Mental Health problems the main route of support is prompting someone to carry out a daily task because the claimant lacks motivation due to their depression. If your condition is not bad enough for you to require prompting then you won’t qualify for PIP it is that black and white.

Generally those who fail the PIP assessment believe it is no good but the main reason often is they haven’t filled the forms in properly and haven’t provided enough medical/care evidence. Actually thousands of claimants pass assessments every week because they follow the system correctly and provide the correct information.

Therefore you really need to get as much evidence as possible and fill the forms in correctly.

• Posted

I agree Anthony, but isn’t this poster just one of thousands that can’t or don’t have the ability to complete the form properly or know how to access evidence?

Suggesting that they go see the CAB is much like buying a lottery ticket – many buy in to the system but few actually get the help to win.

To me it is totally wrong that there are those that know-how and are rewarded and those that even struggle to write a simple letter never mind fill in the PIP claim form who get nowt.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.