PIP enhanced mobility for mental health problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have heard it is really hard to gain enhanced mobility if you suffer from mental health problems eg severe anxiety, anorexia, agraphobia, etc so I was wondering if anyone was successful in gaining this award with such mental health problems?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My son only got enhanced care with mental health issues.
    • Posted

Do you think you should have been awarded at least standard mobility too?  If so - would you not consider appealing?
  • Posted

The maximum score for mental health on the mobility descriptor is 10 points under “planning and following journeys”.

Under option e. “cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant”.

Therefore enhanced mobility is impossible to gain as a claimant needs 12 points which only leaves the standard mobility option.

To qualify for option e. A claimant would have to suffer from a severe mental health condition where they require someone to accompany them every time they venture out. Tribunals are very strict in allowing such claims. The only time I have seen them awarded is when the claimant admits they can become violent and therefore require supervision.

• Posted

There are many posts on this very subject on Rightsnet. Even the professional welfare rights officers find the argument difficult to put over to both the DWP and the Tribunal. It's almost impossible as you suggest.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies.  I suffer from mental disorders but also have walking difficulties too.  I have been assessed by ATOS and just waiting to hear..... On DLA, I received middle rate care and low mobility.
    • Posted

Where PIP has been sneaky in the descriptors is the old DLA award of low mobility has been replaced by an option which scores only 4 points and means the claimant receives nothing.

However, if the claimant scores 8 points on the “Moving around” descriptor option C “Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 meters but no more than 50 meters” that can be added to the 4 points for mental health and achieve 12 points enhanced mobility and access to a Motability car.

• Posted

I thought that you had to get the enhanced mobility award from moving around - physical inability only?
    • Posted

Les is that the scores from each descriptor’s are added together and if they add up to twelve enhanced mobility is awarded. It the same as Daily Living where the collective score dictates what level of benefit the claimant receives.
    • Posted

Is it for a Motobaility car then? I seem to remember that only the moving around points counted. Maybe I am wrong and simply having one of my senior moments???
    • Posted

I'm pretty sure the only criteria for a mobility car is enhanced mobility award in PIP

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.