PIP ESA and State Pension

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone please bear with me I've just joined the group - thank you for allowing me to do so. 

I'm at my wits end. I've just lost my job but my state pension won't start until Dec this year. I have an interview for Job Seekers Allowance this and have claimed for PIP. Reading some of your valueable articles I realise I could potentially receive PIP and ESA. Please could anyone tell me if I could be entitled to the state pension PIP and ESA. I know that JSA stops when the sp starts. Thanks all! ???? x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Claiming benefits would depend on the reasons why you lost your job, because you could be sanctioned for up to 26 weeks but like i said it depends on the reasons. If you can claim benefits how long were you working for and how many hows per week did you do? The reaosn i ask is if you've paid enough National Insurance contributions then you could claim Contribution based benefits. If you claim for JSA you have to agree to look for work for a minum 35 hours per week, attend regular Job centre appointments, if you don't they will sanction you for this.

To calim ESA again it's same the thing if you paid enough NI contributions then you'll claim Contribution based ESA but to claim this you'll need regular fit/sick notes form your GP.

If you haven't paid enough NI contributions in the last 2 tax years then you won't be able to claim Contribution based benefit and to be able to claim Income based would depend on your circumstances (IE do you have a partner that works?)

Your last question, once your SP starts in December then you won't be able to claim any JSA or ESA at all because you can't claim both.

• Posted

If your claim for PIP is successful this won't affect any other benefits you may recieve because PIP is a non means tested benefit.

• Posted

Great advice as usual from Denise.  I would also add that if you consider you are not fit to work then claim ESA.  If you consider you are then claim JSA.  If they try and sanction you then the best thing to do is go to your doctor, explain your situation and ask for a sick/fit note. Illness is always an acceptable reason to leave your job and ESA would not be sanctioned.  After this if you then claim JSA you would not be sanctioned. x
    • Posted

They can refuse even with a fit note from a GP. If annemarie left he Job because of ill health and worked full time. If SSP was claimable they could refuse based on this. It's very complicated, or could be depending on the reason why the job was lost x

• Posted

Hi Denise I agree with you on this but all things being equal ESA would be easier to claim than JSA as it wouldn't be sanctioned coz leaving a job on the grounds of illness is still an acceptable reason.  If the poster claimed JSA they would say why did you leave a job when you are obviously fit to work.  x

• Posted

If SSP wasn't possible then yes. I guess we'll never known unless the poster returns to answer those questions smile x

• Posted

Oh I would also add you will not be able to get your state pension until the due date.  It is never paid beforehand whatever the reason. 

You are lucky to be able to get yours in December which is very close now.  I can't have mine until May 2019 and am trying to survive on a small private pension.  Not easy.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.