PIP & ESA ASSESSMENTS.

Posted , 5 users are following.

ESA, 0 points for mobility v PIP 8 points for mobility. (odd in it"s self, can"t get my head round it)  Then overturned by tribunal to award 15 points for mobility on ESA, but then, 8 points taken away for PIP mobility, because i reported a worsening condition.  What the dickens is going on?                              

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I used to get standard on both pip and mobility but because mine worsend came back not entitled to nothing so I called and had a call from office I now have to have a letter from GP and they'll look at it again, at medical they put I could do everything fine

Obviously didn't listen to a word I've said in medical

• Posted

I am the same  as I was on enhanced rate last May  for two years while I was on permitted work and driving with a frozen shoulder and have had Fibromyalgia for 9 years now that Iam not working and cannot drive Ihave had it taken away . I  am waiting to hear back from the tribunal people.
  • Posted

I was onn High Mobility/Middle Care DLA indefinitely - I messed up (so the DWP said) in the conversion to PIP. They took all of the DLA award from me and no PIP award - as I am too old - over 65 I don't get a second chance to claim it.

• Posted

That's awful, can't you call the office and ask for call back from them and tell them exactly how it effects you? This is what I have done now j gave to get a strong letter from GP to clarify it
    • Posted

I could if they had made a poor decision in awarding points. I apparently failed to move from go - the DLA to PIP conversion never got started as (they say) I failed to make a proper telephone claim to start it off within the allocated time frame. Such failure is seen by them as a reason to stop my DLA immediately with them presuming that I didn;t want to move onto PIP.
  • Posted

Hi Buddy

ESA doesn't have a mobility component so you probably were awarded 0 points on the grounds that the Health Care Professional/DWP Decision Maker thought you were capable of work. PIP is worked out on different criteria and at some point you were awarded 8 points (standard rate) mobility. I think you are confusing the 2 and that’s why you are finding it hard to understand their decision.

Simply put the Tribunal looked at the evidence and decided the HCP/DWP ESA decision was wrong and overturned the 0 points and awarded you 15 which is enough to put you in the Support Group.

However, for whatever reason they also ruled that the 8 points for PIP mobility was wrong and took that away. So it would seem you gained by being awarded ESA Support Group rate (£109.30) but lost out on the PIP mobility at standard rate (£21.80pw)

I haven’t seen the evidence so I don’t know if this was fair or correct decision but it is possible for the Tribunal to come to that conclusion.

• Posted

HI, ESA mobilising descriptor } cannot mobilise more than 50mtrs on level ground without stopping or repeatedly in a reasonable timescale 15 points. That initself would qualify you for ESA. The descriptor for PIP being the same up to 50mtrs would give 8 points, so, standard mobility rate. ta.
    • Posted

Hi again yes your completely right with regard to the Work Capability Assessment/Mobility 15 points. Sorry I was a little confused on the first reply as I thought you meant you had a mobility benefit as part of your ESA.

The only thing I can think of as to why the 2 decisions contradict themselves is the use of 'aids'. The WCA is clearly mentions that you have to cover the test distance WITHOUT the use of an aid.

In PIP it is different in that someone who can cover that distance using an aid i.e. walking stick, even a mobility scooter (providing they can get on and off on their own) would deemed able to cover the distance.

So at a guess i assume the Tribunal thought you could cover the distance with an ‘aid’ (no PIP) but couldn’t cover the distance without an ‘aid’ (hence ESA Support Group)

• Posted

Hi again, thanks for that. You just put a light on. What i can see now is that the home assessor did not listen to my problems and difficulties.  (No surprises there mind, she did not stop talking about her self and family). I have asked to see her report, 6-8 weeks they said. Don"t know why this long, mind you. When it only took them 5 days to take it away. ta. 
    • Posted

Hi again we are here to help.

Strange you mention another HCP/Assessor who at the assessment talked more about themselves than you the potential claimant. It's amazing how many times this happens wonder if its a 'trick of the trade' so to speak?

• Posted

Hi, it may be the same person!  Or someone else with nerve problem. Could not answer most of her questions before she shifted on to the next. I was thinking at the time, because i  reported a worsening condition, that my origional claim was still in place only getting worse and she must have understood this to skip the obviouse. Hence the speed of it all. With longer chat about probs with her car, where she shops and husbands job. Ha, ta.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.