PIP evidence

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

With regard to pip claim and supplying as much evidence as possible. I contacted my gp  surgery and was told to write a letter with whatever records I required and it would be sorted for me to collect asap. I did so requesting all my medical history from April 2011 up to now. A few days later I received a phone call from surgery stating that my request had been dealt with and would be ready for collection once cleared by my gp. I asked what information would be included and was told " relevant documents to my claim". When asked if that included all my medical history from 2011 I was told , no, only documents they felt necessary,  any other information would be requested by dwp.

I insisted that I wanted All my records-and was willing to pay for them. "That would mean paying 50p per sheet which the dwp will pay if they need it".

Mike.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid you've been advised incorrectly. The DWP/assessment providers very rarely contact anyone for medical evidence. The onus is always on the claimant to make sure they send all the evidence needed to support a claim.

GP's very often tell people this but it's far from true. If they contacted people for evidence all the time then the backlogs would be even longer than they already are. It clearly states on PIP and ESA forms to send all evidence with the form. It also tells you what evidence is accepted and what isn't.

Your GP practice can NOT refuse to give you access to your medical records but they will charge for this. If they've refused then i'd ring them back and demand your medical records.

• Posted

Also i've never heard of the DWP paying for medical evidence and i'm not sure why they told you that. If a medical professional is contacted for evidence then it's the assessment providers that do this and not DWP. Once you've had your assessment and your file is returned to DWP all the evidence needed would be in that file, along with the assessment report. It's the assessment report that plays a huge part in making the decision and this is what the decision maker looks at.

The assessment providers did contact 2 people off my daughters list of contacts (very rare) but they rang them and spoke to them. They didn't write to them asking them to send the evidence.

• Posted

Totally agree with Denise, where did your information come from? Also your asking for your medical records from 2011, is this your first claim, presuming it must be because otherwise most of that would have already been sent with your prior claim, they will look more closely at recent information as that's what's relevant to your present claim.

Your information going back that far you could have recovered from it.

• Posted

Hi Alexandria,

My disabilities occurred August 2011 after a fall from a ladder. I applied for dla and received mrc and hm.

I was awarded with no time limit. Since pip arrived I have waited to be invited to claim for pip. I have very little medical evidence as my permanent/progressive cervical stenosis, bone spurs and trapped spinal cord were diagnosed in April 2013 and since then only have had 12 monthly mri  scans to track the disease. 

Mike.

• Posted

Alexandria is correct. DWP will tell you that evidence won't be accepted if it's older than 2 years. However, they will accept the evidence if it's backed up with recent evidence.

Your DLA award no longer exists so you need to forget about that and concentrate on the PIP. Lots of people think that because they have/had an indefinite DLA award they'll automatically be awarded PIP. This isn't true. PIP and DLA are totally different and because of the PIP descriptors it means they won't apply to everyone.

When you do have the invite to apply for PIP you can ask them to use your DLA file as evidence too.

• Posted

So you need to gather up information that's relevant to this claim, you haven't been invited to apply for PIP yet then, I would wait till they contact you to do it first

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.