PIP forms sent in yesterday.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good morning all,

I have finally recieved my PIP forms after waiting over two weeks and completed and sent back yesterday.

I am 26 and a dwarf, i have always struggled with my walking ability and general things in life. When i was a child i did recieve DLA.

I didnt send any evidence as i do not have treatment and it is not an illness, i assume that when i get called for an assesment they will see straight away what i am sad....

How long is the normal expected wait to get a response back from my forms?

Thank you.

Have a good day x

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Natalie,

I think the wait can differ in different parts of the country. In my experience, when I applied for my Mum, we had a text from them two days after we had sent the forms back to say that they had received our forms and would be getting in contact via letter soon about an assessment.

Because of where we are (there is only one assessment centre where we live) it took them two and a half months to book us in for the assessment. We went to that, and it was another seven weeks before we found out that Mum had been awarded PIP.

Some people can wait a month, some people can be waiting longer than what we did! I know this isn't exactly helpful as it's such a vague answer but that's just what I have learnt through my own experience and what I have read on the forums smile

Here's to hoping your wait won't be too long, I'm sure it will be fine! Xx

• Posted

I find that difficult to understand. You can go to any of the assessing centres that are withing a 90min drive from your home.

I live on the South East coast and 90 mins takes in London and as far afield as Brighton. - anywhere up to 105 miles away.

• Posted

The assessors have to take into account your condition and the effect on your ability to travel.  They have also come in for criticism for sending people beyond a 60 minute travel window, and are actively working to reduce that by the use of more home assessments if they're appropriate - although the claimant can refuse a home assessment, but I wouldn't recommend it.  ATOS employ their healthcare professionals from working private and NHS staff on a part time basis.  They work with them to provide appropriate local facilities to carry out the assessments, so if you live in an area covered by ATOS your wait time and travel distances are likely to be less.  This is borne out in my own area where the average wait between application and assessment is about four weeks and people travel to local assessment premises within about 20 minutes drive time.

• Posted

I live on an island Les - we wouldn't have been able to afford going over on the boat to the next nearest place so would have had to have waited for an assessment in our centre anyway smile

• Posted

All of your travel expenses would be paid by the assessing company within that 90min radius.
    • Posted

We wouldn't have been able to afford t in the first instance though sad

Either way, we were lucky enough to be given an assessment in our local area without having to get on the seas (we weren't given an option to go anywhere else, not that we would have wanted to or would have opted to anyway, it would have been too difficult getting Mum there), and a two month wait wasn't too bad either to be honest smile

• Posted

I would echo what the previous poster has said.  It depends on where you live. I am in the north west and people in my support group have been called for assessment within four weeks of submitting the forms, and have had a decision within three to four weeks of assessment.  It depends on whether there is a backlog in your area.  In a lot of places, the DWP are behind with their decisions as a result of a lot more people attending face to face assessments than was previously thought. The DWP estimated that approximately seventy percent of claimants would have to undergo a face to face assessment, but in practice this has turned out to be ninety eight percent.  As per the previous poster says, it also depends on how many suitable assessment centres are in your area, and whether a home assessment is feasible.
    • Posted

A face to face assessment in up to 95% of all claims was the intention from the start by the government.

Where it went wrong was that the assessing companies where able to fly through claims (making more money) if they didn't bother with a face to face assessment.

?The government have picked them up on this and told them to get back to what is expected of them.

• Posted

Not sure where you're getting this info from Les, but in all the government literature both before and after PIP was introduced, DWP projections where that somewhere around 70% of all claimants would have a face to face assessment.  They now admit that figure has risen to around 98%, but it's always been way in excess of the 70%  projection right from when PIP was first introduced. I know this from involvement in a campaign group because one of our complaints was that the providers seemed to be ignoring DWP guidelines on paper based assessments, and seemed to be applying the face to face assessment across the board.  My own opinion is that the providers do this because they can charge more for a full face to face assessment than paper based 'advice' to the decision maker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.