PIP from DLA award cut for Mobility Component !

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just received the Brown evelope !   Wife's mobility component cut from Higher rate in DLA to Standard Rate Mobility Component in Pip, also Standard Rate Care Component.

Would Standard rate Mobility Component - awarded 10, ponts by assessor, entitle my wife to  free car tax? and automatic entitlement to Blue badge renewal ?  The cut of £36.00 a week from the original DLA is quite substatial, not to mention the benefit loss that a higher rate mobility component gives.

Should I phone the DWP next Tuesday for a Mandetory Reconsideration?  Can the mandetory reconsideration request be accomplished over the phone with DWP representative ?  

Any help or advise on how to proceed would be appreciated.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Exactly same happened to me, I fine mc lost now waiting to go Trubunal, yes you get 50% tax discount any you still get blue badge
  • Posted

Hi, asking for an MR want cost you anything and want effect the benefits you have been allocated so why wouldn't you.

The changes from DLA to PIP are quite dramatic and I'm sure will effect quite a few as more are assessed when being moved from DLA to PIP, the distance has dropped from 50m to 20m.

Do you mind me asking the disability your wife has been unfortunate to find her self suffering from.

Have you asked for a copy of her assessment.

• Posted

I'm afraid you're wrong when you say it won't affect the benefot they already have been awarded. It can do just this. Asking for the MR a person can actually lose everything they've been awarded. The award can either decrease, stay the same or of course increase. Most MR decisions however remain the same, so the likelyhood of having to take it to tribunal is very high. The chances of winning the Tribunal is also better and about 65% the last time i checked.

• Posted

I don't mind at all; My Wife has dificulty walking any distance, calcium growth in the feet and in the spine, severe Arthritis (osteo) degenerative.

Spndylitis; also suffers from BP problems, gets dizzy spells and falls occasionally, has a lot of weakness in her wrists; even though she has had  both wrists operated on for carpol tunnel syndrome.   takes quite a lot of medication.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear this. The 50% car tax would depend which part of the Mobility your wife scored points in. If it's the "moving around part" then yes she'll be able to claim this reduction. To be able to claim it you'll have to send the log book and the payment off to DVLA because you can't do it any other way. Also the Blue Badge is an automatic entitlement if the points were scored in the "moving around part" Please check the award notice for both of these.

To ask for the MR you'll need to ring them first, then you'll need to put the request in writing, sending in any extra evidence you have. If you haven't already got a copy of the assessment report then please ring Tuesday to ask for this, they'll send you out a copy. You only have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for the MR so don't delay the process. Take a look at the PIP descriptors to see which ones apply to your wife the base the MR request around those descriptors. If there's any lies told in that report then don't focus on this. You'll need to be straight to the point. Any evidence you have to support those descriptors would be great. If you're not confident on putting this in writing then CAB are very good BUT they're often very busy and there's usually a waiting list for appointments.

If your wife had the mobility car with DLA then this will have to be returned while you wait for the MR decision, and Motability will be incontact soon. Good luck.

• Posted

Also i wouldn't wait to recieve a copy of the report if you haven't already got it. Time isn't on your hands to get the request in so you'll need to hurry. With the bank holiday this weekend that's 1 day less too. please bear in mind as i've already said that most MR decisions remain the same to the chances of you having to take in to Tribunal are quite high. The current PIP award payments will of course be paid while you wait for the decision. Hope this helps.

• Posted

We own the car we have; it's old but good, taxed it free last November; I assume it will continue to be taxed for the remainder of the 12, months ?then I'd need to cover 50% of the car tax from November 2017 would that be the case?

Mobility Assessment Stated 10, points out of 12, for moving around. 

Planning and following a journey scored 0, out of 12.

• Posted

Hi,

No your car tax would not continue to be taxed without the high mobiltiy award, i'm sorry. You're going to need to tax it yourself now as from the date of the decision letter. You'll recieve the 50% discount also but your log book is disabled class and would need to be changed so you're going to need to send this off ASAP to change it with DVLA. Please don't delay this because fines could happen. As i said in prevoius post to tax your car with 50% discount you need to send payment off to DVLA along with proof of the motability award. The Blue badge would continue as normal. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Have you put this post somewhere else Nytsom, only I answered you a couple of hours ago biggrin

• Posted

Yes sukes, it was posted on the end of another thread. I seen that after i answered here. smile
    • Posted

Thank goodness for that Denise, I thought I was losing it for a mo  lol
    • Posted

Yes I did post it as a reply to someone elses thread; then realised I could post my own thread.   Thanks for answering any quearies I Had.
  • Posted

Same thing happened to hubby and is happening to lots of  others as well. We decided not to take it any further as didnt want to risk losing the standard rate of the mobilty and care of the PIP as does also happen.As we never used it when receiving the DLA for having a mobility car so at  least he hasnt had to give up this and end up with no transport. Thankfully he can still drive and we have our own car. Its when this one ends in 3 years time we think he will probably end up with nothing. This time he had a very good and fair accessor  which really helps. Hope you get the results you hope for

Sue

• Posted

Thanks Susan,

We also own our car; did you need to re-tax your vehicle immediately after you received the mobility decision, or does the tax remain for the full 12, months?  our car tax runs out in November,   

Do I need to re tax my vehicle now?  or can we wait until November?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.