PIP HELP

Posted , 5 users are following.

Right, so my partner was awarded a 2 year PIP claim in November 2014. Turns out 2 year claims aren't as they seem and he was sent a letter in November 2015 that had to be completed in order for him to continue to receive PIP.

The DWP says this is to avoid him having to wait for an assessment when his claim runs out in November this year, obviously this is a load of rubbish and just a way to try and end claims more quickly, I'm aware of this.

The thing is they've just sent him an appointment meeting with ATOS, at a place about 45 minutes from where we live, a journey that will cause him a lot of discomfort and also money in cab fares.

I rang and pointed out his GP has said (and written) that he needed a home visit, apparently now he needs another letter from the GP to confirm.

It just all seems like bizarre hurdles to overcome. I'm his carer but I'm not well myself at the moment and I just don't feel equipped to deal with it, and my partner isn't.

Is there anyone who can help us?

I'm not well, he's not well, and neither of us are strong enough to cope with this stress.

Any advice?

Thank you xxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, ask the home visit as you said the gp letter will do or his gp can call them explaining the situation, and 45 minutes  it's a bit far . And if you mention the cost they are not going to do home visit ,if he's disabled the gp can ask for home visit and good luck .
  • Posted

Hi Audrey

Unfortunately the only way of dealing with this is to get a letter from your GP. As you know the DWP are a law unto themselves and there is no way around it.

Why not ask the GP to visit you at home? Generally the rule is the DWP will do a home visit if the claimant has home visits from their GP's.

• Posted

Hi Audrey I can totally understand how you feel as I was facing just this problem just before Xmas. They wanted me to go for a reassessment an hour away by train for Esa and then an hour and a half away by train the next week for Pips my GP emailed both of them saying I should not travel and needed a home visit.Luckily ESA put me in the support group without an assessment .Now I am.not working as I am in the support group with ESA just going by the medical evidence but PIPS came to do a reassessment at my house and decided having awarded me two years back in May before shoulder surgery where I got Twelve points and was in permitted work and driving .Now that I cannot drive ,cannot work .Have to jave my son help me prepare meals etc I only got 7points. I am going through a reconsideration right now and have asked for a copy of the assessors report. I am really upset and shocked that this has happened. Something has got to change asap.
    • Posted

Now that I cannot drive ,cannot work .Have to jave my son help me prepare meals etc I only got 7points. I am going through a reconsideration right now and have asked for a copy of the assessors report. I am really upset and shocked that this has happened. Something has got to change asap.

You have to first consider why PIP exists - it is simply a way of reducing the amount of money that was being spent on DLA awards.

Then you have to consider whi people fail now after already having a previous PIP award - the government are shocked that the way PIP is being allowed to continue is not saving as much as they wanted it to (too many people are still getting awards). The DWP are under pressure to now look harder for more reasons NOT to make an award.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.