PIP Help Confused receiving conflicting information

Posted , 6 users are following.

PIP help

Posted 3 days ago

Hi, I received a phone call from someone at the pip office on Friday 13th  who asked me some basic questions and then said I’ve been awarded but didn’t tell me how much or any other information just said I’d receive a letter this week. I then received a text on the 17th saying: We've received the written report of your PIP assessment. We will write to you once we've made a decision on your PIP. As a guide you should hear from us within 4 weeks. You don't need to contact us unless any of the details you gave us have changed. Thank you. I’d received the same text two weeks before, so I called them today and apparently my application is still with a decision maker and I should have a decision 4 weeks after the initial text I’m really confused as to who or what to believe now has anyone ever had this happen or is there anything I can do to find out what’s happening with my claim. Any help or advice greatly appreciated  

0 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Are you sure the person from DWP who rang you Friday actually told you that you've been awarded? This is very unusual for a decision maker to ring stating this. They can and do ring asking questions but i've never heard them tell a claimant the decision before. A decision maker rang me asking a question during my last PIP review, i answered the question and he replied " thank you, you'll receive a decision within the next 7 working days" He certainly didn't tell me right there and then.

As you rang them today and you were told that a decision hasn't yet been made then all you can do is wait, unfortunately. Have you rang to ask for a copy of the assessment report? This will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report. If you haven't then ring them again and ask them to send you a copy. It's also good to have this if a decision doesn't go in your favour and you have to go down the MR route.

Hopefully not much longer now. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your help I’m 90% sure that what’s he said but due to being at hospital and possibly needing extra  surgery my head was all over the place. I’ll definitely call and ask for a copy of my report and wait on the decision letter as I’m guessing that all I can do now. 
    • Posted

You're welcome. It's very easy to miss hear someone, especially with back ground noise from the hospital.

The only time a decision maker will tell a claimant what the decision is over the phone is for ESA and this is usually when they've been unsuccessful. I've not ever known them tell the decision for PIP. I know it's very stressful. especially when you thought you'd been awarded. Fingers crossed for you and please do come back and let us know when you finally have the decision.

• Posted

Hi Denise I was actually told over the phone, I rang about two weeks after the assessment and was told I had been awarded the benefit, can't remember if she said which but the letter was in the post.

Hot and muggy here LOL

• Posted

Hi,

Yes so was i but what i meant was the decision maker doesn't usually ring and tell you the decision. The DWP will tell you if you ring and ask if a decision's been made. Trish stated the DWP rang her to ask questions and then said she had been awarded. The decision maker will sometimes ring to ask questions as they did with my review, they just don't usually tell you their decision.

Yes, same here. Been a long day and i'm tired too.

• Posted

All I want is a straight forward answer off someone as I’m stress enough trying to avoid further surgery. Thanks for answering my question though 
    • Posted

Unfortunately if a decision isn't made there's nothing they can tell you and there's nothing you can do until the decision has been made. Hopefully it won't be too long before you know either way. I know it's very stressful, everyone feels exactly the same way when waiting for that decision.

Good luck.

• Posted

I second that Denise, it's not great waiting because you don't know the outcome but really stressing doesn't make it happen any faster and it certainly doesn't make it the answer you want.

It want be long now I'm sure and as for the surgery will it help with your disability

• Posted

Hello Trish,

unfortunately it's not always easy to give a straight forward answer.  The people on this forum are people who are experienced in claiming the different benefits. No-one works for the DWP, each one is only able to answer due to the experience they have had.  Denise is probably one of the very few people people on here who is happy to help and even going  the extra mile to do some research to help people.  I understand you are stressed, but most of the people on this forum are also stressed.  Please hang on in there

• Posted

Thanks for your support I just feel like I’m taking one step forward two steps back. I think the best thing I can do is keep checking my bank and post and maybe phone them occasionally for an update. 
    • Posted

Ringing for a copy of the assessment report would be the next step i would do, as this will give you a good idea on the decision. It will also come in handy if a decision doesn't go in your favour because it's much more detailed than the decision letter and is very helpful when asking for the Mandatory Reconsideration, if you need to go down that route.

• Posted

I had my face to face 4 weeks ago. The assessor said I should hear in writing in about 4 weeks. Last week PIP wrote to me and said they now had all the information to make a decision and would let me know when the decision had been made. Since then I have heard nothing. I presume this means I will hear in about 4 weeks from last week and not 4 weeks since I had face to face.

Oh well in the meantime they are still paying me the higher rate of DLA so the longer they take to make a decision the better off I am.  May they all have a long summer break!!!!!

Sarah

• Posted

Hi,

I have no idea why the assessor tells people the time frame in which they should have a decision. They really have no idea how long backlogs are because for any decision there's no timescales. It really takes as long as it takes. Some have a decision in a couple of weeks, while others wait 4 weeks and some even wait 6+ weeks because of backlogs there's no timescales. Once a text or letter is received saying they have all the info they need then it's not usually long.

Like i always advise everyone, asking a for a copy of the assessment report will tell you what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with that. It's also very useful if you have to go down the MR route.

• Posted

I called and requested this on Friday, they said I should have a decision by next Friday so fingers crossed I also asked for a copy of the report which they said they’d send out with my decision letter. So thanks for all your help and support 
    • Posted

I'm sure the assessor said to me that I could only ask for a copy of her report once the decision had been made.

A letter arrived on Saturday but it could not be delivered to me because it had to be signed for.

Although I was in and my door was open, I did not hear the postman knock as I am quite deaf.

After a complicated phone call I have now arranged delivery of this letter tomorrow. I am guessing this is the letter telling me about PIP. Not expecting any other letter that I would have to sign for.

My friend has said that she would come with me and support me if I disagree with the decision.

Will let you know. What is the MR route you talk about?

Sarah

• Posted

This is only true if you live in Northern Ireland. If you live in the UK then the assessor who told you that is incorrect!

The letter you missed on Saturday that needs to be signed for definitely would not be from DWP because they never ever send letters this way. They always use normal 2nd class post even for decisions, after all this is the DWP we are talking about.

MR is Mandatory Reconsideration, it's the first step to an appeal if a decision doesn't go in your favour. With this you won't be able to take it to Tribunal.

• Posted

Should that be without this you want be able to take it to tribunal, this site needs a bit of an update and should allow edits, please cause I know Denise wouldn't have got that wrong

• Posted

Thanks Alexandria you're correct it should have been without the MR. Yes i agree not being able to edit posts here is extremely annoying.

• Posted

Thanks I live in Wales which is presumably UK.

There is so much conflicting information I have been given to be honest I don't know who or what to believe any more. It can't all be correct.

Sarah

• Posted

The advice i give is correct Sarah, i most certainly wouldn't advise you if it wasn't. In all honesty i wouldn't trust anyone from DWP or assessment providers with any advice they give. It's NOT true that they won't send out the report until after a decision is made. I've been to 2 assessments for PIP for myself and 1 for my daughter and had copies of the report for all 3 before a decision was made. Same for ESA for the assessment i went to for myself. I also know there's others here that post and have received copies of their report before a decision is made because i've advised them to ask for it.

It's true also for the signed for letter, DWP never ever send these out. Post is always 2nd class only.

• Posted

Hi Sarah Denise is absolutely correct, I had my paper work about 7 days before I received my official results, also they don't send via any kind of recorded delivery/registered post just box standard 2cnd class.

Give them a call tomorrow and ask for it,

• Posted

Thanks Denise I  called Friday and asked for a copy of my report but was told this would be sent out with my decision letter. The guy on the phone also said I’d have a decision by Friday, so I’m going to call them again tomorrow and ask for a copy of my report and a straight forward answer as to what’s happening or where in the process my claim is as I’m getting more frustrated with the constant merry go round I seem to be on with the DWP/PIP people at the moment  
    • Posted

No problem. It always amazes me when a claimant is told they'll have a decision by a certain date/day. A decision is made when it's made and there's really no time scales to these. Yes i know how frustrating it is with all the waiting, every single person feels exactly the same as you do right now, when waiting. For me waiting for the decision is the most stressful time. My daughters PIP claim was more stressful than my own were.

When you rang last Friday and were told the report would be sent out with the decision letter, i wouldn't have let that go!! I would have said "thank you" put the phone down, immediately ring back, speak to someone different and the likelyhood of them agreeing to send the report out to you would have been highly likely. Some refuse, some agree but to be honest, they can't really refuse because it's a claimants right to see that report whether a decision's been made or not.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks. Sorry if it looked as if I was questioning your advice.

I have now rung them and they have agreed to send me my assessor's report.

They said it would take about 2 weeks and that I would get a decision about the beginning of August.

So I might get the decision before the report now.

I could have asked for the report 3 weeks ago and had it by now!!

What is so secretive about the correct information and why do they not give it to you in the first place?

I realize now that the letter I will have to sign for today is probably my new blue badge as I sent a my original birth certificate to them to prove identity.

Thanks again for correct advice.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah, yea it does seem a bit cloak and dagger LOL yes blue badge comes that way, at least you got that, they are cracking down on those too
    • Posted

It's fine. I did advise you to ask for the report. If they do send it out today then it should take less than 2 weeks to receive it....IF they send it.

There's no secretive information, it's just some let you have it while others don't. The assessment providers have no idea about what we can receive or not. Just the same way they don't know about the backlogs.

In my opinion it's always better to be advised by those who have been through the process theirself. DWP advisers read from a screen.

If you do have that report before a decision, in there somewhere will be boxes with dots. Search google for the PIP self test and match those dots up with that, then you'll know how many points you got if any, for each part. Good luck and please let us know.

• Posted

Denise thanks so much for all you help and advice I received my report today which looks positive so now just to wait for the actual decision letter to come though. I do feel a little more positive after receiving my report which I wouldn’t have known to ask for if it wasn’t for you so thanks again and I’ll let you know what happens once I’ve received my final decision letter. 
    • Posted

I did 9 for Daily living 12 for Mobility if I’ve got it correct 
    • Posted

Moving around part of mobility PIP descriptor D or E would score 12 points. For the rest you can use the PIP descriptors online or the PIP self test to check for sure how much you scored. I did this with my daughters claim, in fact i checked multiple times because i didn't believe myself the first few times lol

Usually they go with the report, it's rare for them to go against it. Do let us know for sure when you get the decision.... then you can....relax. Take care now x

• Posted

I’ve check and double checked and I did get E for my mobility. So I’m just going to wait for the decision letter or £ to hit my account and of course as soon as I get the letter I’ll let you know. Now just a waiting game. You take care too please and thanks for all your help x

• Posted

That Enhanced mobility will allow you to have a mobility vehicle, if you wish. What happens is the money for the mobility part will be paid for a car, if you choose this option. The only thing you pay for is fuel, everything else is included. If you do drive and are considering this option all the information you need is on the motability website. x
    • Posted

I currently don’t drive and it wouldn’t be possible because of the surgery I’ve had on my knee the extra money will just help with Taxis and things to take my children out so I’m going to try and plan easy day trips etc x
    • Posted

Just thought I’d update you as promised I called PIP and even though I’ve been awarded the points I’ve been turned down for PIP so I’m going to have to wait for the letter to arrive now then go though mandatory reconsideration I guess so anyoying as even the lady on the phone said I had enough points to be awarded and she’d never seen a claim laid out like that before feeling quite let down and annoyed oh well on with the fight I guess. 
    • Posted

Hi Trish I'm really sorry you have been refused your pip, I don't understand how they can tell you in your report that you have enough points and then deny it you, somewhere their has been an error, either the customer service representative got it wrong or no disrespect to you but you haven't understood the information sheet they have sent you.

Let's hope it's them, I personally would ring again and speak to a different representative and maybe ask if you have read it wrong.

• Posted

I spoke to a kind lady on the phone this morning that said I wouldn’t be awarded because my problem won’t extended past 9 months I’m going to wait for the letter then as for a mandatory reconsideration as I’ve had major knee surgery due to long term dislocations and have to have further surgery in the coming weeks 
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have actually heard this happen before. Problem with PIP is that if your condition isn't expected to last for 9 months then they won't award it to you. What's probably happened here is they think that the surgery you've had will improve your condition in the long run, which is why most people have surgery to begin with. A person wouldn't have surgery if there condition is expected to stay the same or get worse after it. This is a very difficult one to be honest.

If you don't mind me asking what sort of evidence did you send to support your claim? Also before you decided to have surgery did your Consultant say what the long term prognosis is? If it is expected to last more than 9 months then this is the sort of evidence that you're going to have to give when asking for the MR and Tribunal, if you decide to take it this far.

This is most likely where the confusion was when you first posted here.

I really do wish you good luck.

• Posted

Thanks. Received report in post this morning. That is 3 days not 2 weeks!

I will have a go at matching up the dots but am not terribly good at doing that sort of thing.

Judging by the report I think I would definitely be awarded something but it may not be very much. Certainly not the higher rate. But I think the report is honest and fair. Can't  see anything tht has actually been lied about.

Ofcourse I will let you know when I have the decision.

In the middle of all this I am also thinking of moving to be with my sister about 30 miles away.

She is going to look at a house to rent next weekend.

Talk about stress!!!

Sarah

• Posted

Do a google search for PIP self test and place the dots from the report in the self test, is the simplest way to know what was scored. The report can be 100% truthful but a claimant may not have scored enough points, so it's the dots you really do need to look at here.

• Posted

Sarah,

regarding your house move thoughts. Do you claim any means tested benefits like ESA/housing benefit? If you do and the new area you're thinking of moving to is a full Universal Credit area then you won't be able to claim housing benefit or continue with your ESA claim, it will have to be Universal credit. I'd advise you to check what's in the area before doing anything else. Check by googling UC postcode checker and then put the postcode of the new expected area into that and it will tell you the answer.

• Posted

I’m honestly not sure I had an appointment with my consultant this morning and I’ve been told I need further surgery this morning so I’m going to call them now to keep them informed with what’s happening as if I don’t I can imagine it will make it harder on the long run 
    • Posted

The question you really need to ask is what's your chances of a recovery after the surgery because this is why your PIP has been refused. They've agreed you have difficulty now and scored you the points to reflect this. What they don't think though is that your conditions will last the further 9 months to be awarded PIP. When this happens a person will be refused based on the 9 month time frame rule.

To proceed any further with the MR/Tribunal then you will need evidence for this.

• Posted

My sister who already lives in the area claims housing benefit as I do here so I assume I will be able to claim housing benefit?
    • Posted

No that won't be possible if the area you're moving to is a full UC area. UC has replaced all means tested benefits, except council tax reduction. PIP isn't included.

• Posted

I’ve called them and the person I spoke to said it might be worth going down the MR route once I have the confirmation of the surgery date, as I had my operation in May and I’m still struggling months later. I wouldn’t be asking for help if I didn’t genuinely need it all I want is to be me again  but I struggle to do simple things currently like getting into/out of the bath and I hate it 
    • Posted

May was only 2 months ago. This could be the reason why you're still struggling. Please do speak to your Consultant and ask about expected recovery times. Unless you have evidence that your conditions will continue after 9 months then it's going to be extremely difficult to have a decision in your favour for both MR and Tribunal. As stated in most cases people have surgery to improve their conditions.

I'm so sorry it's turned out this way for you, i really am.

• Posted

Hi Trish I know all about the 9 month rule and Denise is correct as she always is😁😁 and having an op for any orthopaedic reason puts you in the position that as far as they think a surgeon will not operate if he considers there will not be an improvement, my friend claimed and Inbetween her application and assessment she had a knee replacement, didn't receive anything and she also needs more surgery in her other knee and both hips, I can see where their coming from but it must be frustrating for you because your struggling at the moment but I would say your medical team feel that they can improve you. A lady on here has Ed's and still was refused as it's going to improve after ops and she can walk etc and do most things regularly

• Posted

I’ve got another appointment soon so I’ll ask all these questions and try and get it on writing to back myself up so frustrating 
    • Posted

Just so you're aware the first step to any appeal is a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) for this, you have 28 days from the date of the decision to request it. As i stated in a previous thread on here today, you do in fact have 13 months (with good reason) however, if you ring DWP and mention the MR and say you're waiting for an appointment for more evidence then they may not wait for the extra evidence. They may proceed with the MR regardless, as i've seen this happen multiple times.

For you it will depend when your appointment is, because a letter from a Consultant can take 3 weeks or more after an appointment like this. Is there anyway you can contact your Consultant before the appointment to ask about the recovery timescale?

If you decide to ask for the MR you may have to proceed with it regardless of confirmation of recovery times. Most MR decisions remain the same anyway and your chances are less than 20%. It could well be Tribunal route for you, i'm afraid. Tribunals can take up to 1 year for the hearing because backlogs a huge all over the country. This will give you more than enough time to get the evidence needed, if your recovery time isn't before the 9 months of course.

• Posted

Ive phoned them and they’ve started the MR process but my consultant is pretty good so I’m going to call him on Monday and ask for a letter outlining my condition and times scales due to my extra complications 
    • Posted

Thank you so much denise.

Done the self test for PIP.

It has given me 8 points for daily living (standard payment of £57.30)

4 points for mobility so no award for that which I am surprised about.

Really surprised as the DLA I was getting was mobility component not daily living.

I presume the £57.30 is a 4 weekly payment?

That is a huge drop. I was getting £239 from DLA.

Regarding moving I have tried looking up postcode and looks as if Housing Benefit is still available.

Lots of questions on that form though.

My sister is really busy at work this afternoon so I said I would ring her tonight.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Sarah xx

• Posted

That amount is per week not every 4 weeks. Standard daily living is approx £229 every 4 weeks. If the decision goes with the report and mostly it does then your DLA will continue for a further 4 weeks, then 4 weeks after that your PIP will start.

If you're definitely awarded Standard daily living do you claim any other means tested benefit like ESA? and do you live alone or with a partner? Please answer these questions by starting a new thread. This thread was Trish's to start with and is now getting rather confusing with multiple different questions through out. My brain can't cope with multiple questions in one thread, really sorry. I'll glad you help you further if you start a new thread answering my questions.

• Posted

As Denise will I'm sure verify, forget DLA imagine it's never existed because it is totally different from PIP infact DLA you could actually claim with only a diagnosis, I know of many people who had a diagnosis say of rheumatoid arthritis and be a symptomatic and still recieve an award.

This is why their are so many people crossing over and being turned down for the benefit.

• Posted

I really wish you hadn't done that so soon! There's a possibility now that DWP will not wait for the extra evidence as i previously stated.

You'll also need to put the request in writing stating exactly what you disagree with and why. In your case it will be being awarded the points but no award because of the 9 month rule. You need to state the reasons why you think your condition won't improve in 9 months time, regardless of the surgery you've recently had.

• Posted

Thanks the guy I spoke to had put my my report that I’m sending in further information due to have not received my letter yet so fingers crossed I get my letters soon but my local hospital are normally really quick at sending this information out 
    • Posted

Remember Trish that no matter what the actual diagnosis says in a letter you need more than that you need them to give the DWP confirmation of how it effects you
    • Posted

It makes no difference whether they've added a note or note, a lot of the time DWP completely ignore it and continue with the MR request regardless of new evidence sent or not. However, i do have a feeling that you'll be taking this to Tribunal. I know that's not what you want to hear but most people fail at MR stage anyway.

Remember the evidence you'll need is confirmation of how long your condition is expected to be this way. Confirmation of surgery recovery times too. Not so much how your condition affects you because you did score the points for standard daily living and enhanced mobility, BUT NO award because DWP expect your surgery to help with your conditions and expect recovery time to be less than 9 months.

• Posted

Thanks I’ve got a phone call from my consultant booked for Monday so I’m going to ask him to write all this up and I’ll collect when I go in for my weekly physio or hydro appointments 
    • Posted

I have long term lower back problems due to muscle and nerve damage (carried my children very small)

And I’ve had constant knee dislocations for years which resulted in me having MPFL reconstruction and Tibial Tubercle Transfer and I’m booked in for the 13th to have further surgery on the same knee (4th operation) 

• Posted

Thanks for that information it does help sort of, the op will cure the problem with your knee and sadly that will as you have discovered stop them paying benefit especially pip, did you send in enough medical evidence to support your claim, DLA didn't.need a lot but PIP does especially certain types to support your claims that you struggle to look after yourself on a daily basis, it's a complicated benefit isn't.it

• Posted

I sent in everything the consultant gave me straight after my surgery plus at my face to face i explained my condition regarding my back and when I spoke to the gentleman over the phone today he’s added the fact I need further surgery to my notes so I guess it’s just a waiting game now as my knees still extremely swollen and I’ve had extra complications hence the extra surgery needed. All of which I’ve explained to the guy on the phone but I will put everything in writing and send it recorded delivery next week. 
    • Posted

I Totally understand what you're trying to say but what the DWP are saying is that because of your surgery they expect you to recover within that 9 month period. This is because usually with surgery people do recover. I know you say your knee is still swollen but it's only been 2 months and that's no time at all really. Hopefully this next surgery will help you further with your recovery and your mobility will improve. The whole purpose of surgery for anyone is to improve their quality of life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.