PIP info please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I work. I have 2 slipped discs. One of which is herniated. I suffer anxiety and depression. I was on copious amounts of meds last year but still in horrific pain. It takes me ages, and a lot of pain, to get ready for work, washed - with help in and out the shower as its an over the bath one, dressed - just putting my knickers on is a killer!!etc.... Went back to work for financial reasons and mental health reasons but still in horrific pain. Work are great. Well at my new place of work, i was on stage 2 warning for bein off too much!!! I take codeine at work (after my antidepressant, naproxen, paracetamol and occaisionally zomorph) which only takes the edge off. I drive to work. Park literally round the corner from my office - get the lift then I'm in the office til i go home. Take tablets including pramepexole for restless leg syndrome, (which worsened after 1 spinal epidural injection and a nerve root block) then go to bed. My 14 yr old son is a godsend, i use my pip money for a cleaner and to get clothes ironed and my sons pocket money for helping out and to pay for my car - without which i would do nothing. I cant even do the washing. My 8yr old loves his little job. I shop on line and rarely go out.. I know plenty who dont work and are on the sick cause they are just down right lazy, no issues at all. Im worried that now im back at work as i just couldnt survive on the sick. I have a psychiatrist and go to physiotherapy sessions but still in huge amounts of pain, where will i stand come my reassessment. Yes, i went back to work - but i had to. Im in more pain now than i was when i initially did the f2f. I got standard daily no mobility. Im just at such a loss.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well maybe you should run for government if you think like this?  They are convinced that most people claiming sickness benefit are scammers.   However they are now realising that this isn't true.   This attitude makes it much harder for claim benefits now and the genuine sick people are paying the price. 

Maybe if everyone didn't 'know' most claimants are lying and just too lazy to work the ones who are genuine would get the money they are entitled to.   However that doesn't mean that money saved on the 'lazy' people would go to you and others who need it - it would just be used to give millionaires more tax cuts.  So don't worry about other people and save your energies for yourself.

It's not what the illness is what counts for PIP but how it affects you.   If you have been through the system you know it's a tick box scenario.   Your best bet is to get help filling in the form from an expert like CAB and reapply.  

• Posted

Haha. I think i will run for government.....not! I know what you mean about my comment on lazy people - its true, and i know that many many people are worse off than me and have either not been awarded and/or had DLA stopped etc..... it does infuriate me. So many people have suggested i just "go on the sick" yes, this would help my pain management as i could take more painkillers but mentally i would and have previously suffered which in turn makes the pain worse so its a never ending circle.....

My illnes affects my back alot more now and not so much my depression but my anxiety as i worry about having my bad days and being in work oand as people in the past have swung the lead with days off etc.. again makes it hard for those who have genuine ongoing illnesses. Any way....like a politician i could ramble on. But i wont. Thanks for your comment/advice x

• Posted

Hi Sandie, firstly the mobility part you would be entiltled to, however you walk the short distance from car to lift at work, however do you need several stops on this short journey because the pain?do you have to get there early to compensate the stops? I have septic authirtis and get standard living enhanced mobility, as i need to stop every few steps,however pip say i can walk 20 but no more than 50 meters. Anyway the work aspect should not affect you're pip only you routine and how you go about you're day at work, and how it affects you. i hope all does go well for you though. good luck
  • Posted

Hi sandy-pants. It sounds like your"e in the wars, join the club. The thought of not being able to carry on working or being useless does your"e head in. I was devastated when my problem began, ind injury. Remember as a 27yr old lying on the living room looking up at doctor. Up untill then my average hours in work was 52 hrs a wk. With a bit of time of work i got back to it. But after seven yrs it got the better of me. Enjoy your"e award/ benefit, as it is extreamly hard to get and in my opinion, you should be getting mobility on top. Going through a tribunal at moment myself. Take it all the way. ta.
    • Posted

Crikey! Its horrendous isnt it. I'm hoping it doesnt get any worse any time soon. The thought of being off permanently terrifies me. I wasnt given any mobility but hey at least i was lucky enough to get something after reading all the horror stories.

My son gets nothing, Barnados have a young carers scheme but he doesnt want to do dance or drama! My 8 yr old too he gets nothing. Not even a letter from barnados. They are such great helps. I didnt think id need their help this early on life!!! Xx

All the best with your tribunal. Let me know how you get on xx

• Posted

I felt like that too. Was in the ESA Support Group for 3 years until I turned 65 in 2013, was in receipt of DLA (Middle Care/High Mobility) indefinitely & IIDB. By the time I was 66 I had enough of not working. Not being able to work as such, I took on various voluntary roles that I now find takes up to 50 hours a week. 

I honestly don't know how people can say that being on the sick is easy street, in fact any benefits, it did my head in.

When the DWP decided to offer me PIP in late 2015 I turned it down so they took my DLA off me. OK, I am £250 a week worse off with losing the DLA, but that is more than being made up with feeling that I am still able to be productive and at the same time only take from the State what I need.

• Posted

Whilst i understand what you are saying the pip money helps me. As i am able to give my son money for being my carer as he isnt old enough to get carers allowance. I didnt realise that the daily care wasnt for help with housework but i can not do it. I cannot bend down - hoover - put washing in the machine - hang it out - i cant put food in the cooker or carry a pan to the sink. My son does this with a little help from his little brother. So it allows me to give them respite they need tobe able to still feel like kids even with the huge burden i place on their little shoulders (saying that my 14 yr old is far from little hes 6ft!!!) It also helps pay for my car - which without that i would be totally lost..... work, hospital appt and school runs. I dont by any means feel like i am owed anything but it does help a great deal and i would be a little lost without it.

• Posted

Whilst i understand what you are saying the pip money helps me. As i am able to give my son money for being my carer as he isnt old enough to get carers allowance. I didnt realise that the daily care wasnt for help with housework but i can not do it. I cannot bend down - hoover - put washing in the machine - hang it out - i cant put food in the cooker or carry a pan to the sink. My son does this with a little help from his little brother. So it allows me to give them respite they need tobe able to still feel like kids even with the huge burden i place on their little shoulders (saying that my 14 yr old is far from little hes 6ft!!!) It also helps pay for my car - which without that i would be totally lost..... work, hospital appt and school runs. I dont by any means feel like i am owed anything but it does help a great deal and i would be a little lost without it.

• Posted

Whilst i understand what you are saying the pip money helps me. As i am able to give my son money for being my carer as he isnt old enough to get carers allowance. I didnt realise that the daily care wasnt for help with housework but i can not do it. I cannot bend down - hoover - put washing in the machine - hang it out - i cant put food in the cooker or carry a pan to the sink. My son does this with a little help from his little brother. So it allows me to give them respite they need tobe able to still feel like kids even with the huge burden i place on their little shoulders (saying that my 14 yr old is far from little hes 6ft!!!) It also helps pay for my car - which without that i would be totally lost..... work, hospital appt and school runs. I dont by any means feel like i am owed anything but it does help a great deal and i would be a little lost without it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.