PIP -Mandatory reconsideration

Posted , 4 users are following.

just a bit of background. Husband previously had pip for mainly physical ailment but had mental health issues going on aswell and recieved pip for 2 years but called for review after 1 year. 

Now physical ailment pretty much sorted but has had a diagnosis of depression, anxiety and personality disorder.

going to therapy 5 hours per week.

had re-review and had desicion from DWP 2 weeks ago that no longer entitled. I phoned the day after and asked for a mandatory reconsideration. Women was quite helpful and asked where I thought he hadn’t scored and where he should have.

main thing being down scored on needing social support to engage 

but the other one .... managing therapy I thought he would have scored a 4 for 5 hours of therapy per week ( originally gave letter from mental health trust stating diognosis and therapy) however I am now wondering how scoring is done within a section as within that section I also need to prompt him or ask if he has taken his medications sometimes. 

Am I right in thinking that you cannot score for 2 separate elements within 1 category and that they will down grade you to whatever is needing the most of? 

This was was the main point on the reconsideration asked for and I exaplined this to her and she did ask me if I needed to prompt with meds...... 

anyone else scoring different things within same category. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carly,

Yes you're correct. You can't score twice in the same descriptor. What sort of therapy do he have? I'm guessing it's CBT? If i'm correct then this isn't taken into consideration for therapy for the PIP descriptors unfortunately.

Therapies could include domiciliary dialysis, nebulisers and exercise regimes to prevent complications, such as contractures.

“therapy” means therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by a—

(a) registered–

(i) doctor;

(ii) nurse; or

(iii) pharmacist; or

(b) health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council;

Is there anywhere else he could gain those points because needing prompting for medication will only score him 1 point.

I would also advice to put the MR request in writing and back it up with as much evidence as possible.

• Posted

https://www.rethink.org/resources/p/personal-independence-payment-pip 

pages 13-14

Hi ,

i have called and we are doing a mandatory reconsideration which will take 10 weeks. This was able to be done by a phone call.

yes dbt/ cbt.

i would argue that the definition of ‘therapy’ given by the DWP is not fit for purpose and I would be prepared to go to a tribuneral for this.

it is ridiculous to think that ‘therapy’ only consists of something physical that is carried out in the patients home. For example, nebulisation. My husbands illness impacts on his daily life where he cannot work at present. I told them this and they said ‘just because he can’t work doesn’t mean he is entitled to pip” 

well of course but they want to know how it effects his daily life..... he can’t work. 

Anyway, we will see what happens.

• Posted

Oh, also this therapy was recommended by his psychiatrist and was evident in the report we sent to them too.......

It  included all care plans and action plans/ goals as asked for by DWP in their paperwork. 

Really do do not see how this cannot be included as a therapy. Rules need changing if this is the case. 

• Posted

Yes, my daughters was also recommended by her psychiatrist too but they couldn't award her any points for that. I'm sorry but i don't make the rules, im just here to advice people.

I can't see your previous commented because it's been removed to be moderated.

• Posted

Ahhhh, it was just a bit of a longer better version but I did quote something from rethink website in there. Not sure why it has not been made available yet
    • Posted

You can take a look at the CAB website. On there, there's help for filling in those forms. They also have great definitions as to what the descriptors mean etc. Points for therapy are given for those that have it at home and not for appointments outside the home. 

• Posted

I'll private message you a link that will tell you all about this descriptor and what it applies to. Any therapy that's taken outside of a claimants home doesn't apply.

• Posted

I just seen you comment that was deleted yesterday. Unfortunately they are right. PIP isn't about not being able to work because people claim PIP and work.

There's no time scales to MRs and they take as long as they take. My advice to you is have a look at the descriptors to see where else he can score those needed points.

I wish you luck!

• Posted

I only got 2 points out of the assessment even though I was being sick while having my assessment due to Anxiety I seem to get really sick with it and am on sickness tablets. I've contacted my local MP and Doctor for medical evidence . It also stated in the letter that I was observed how I walked as I also have siaticia and how I was sat my mind boggles me as when I got called in to interview room she was in front of me not walking behind me. I am going to appeal..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.