Pip mandatory reconsideration request.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi my son turned 16 in December 2015 and was getting DLA at the high care rate and the standard mobility rate after applying for pip he has been awarded only the mobility enhanced rate and nothing for the daily living. He has epilepsy and the longest time he has gone in the last 2 years without a seizure is a week last time was November 2015. He has seizures most days and not just one seizure it can be anything upto 15 seizures a day. He has extra help at school and has a teachimg assistant with him in every lesson and can't be left alone to cook or take a bath or in fact left alone at all due to falls etc as he gets no warning before a seizure and has ended up in accident and emergency every 6 weeks in the last 6 months with head injuries due to falls. He is under the care of great ormond street due to the fact he's been on numerous drugs with no seizure control whatsoever and they are looking at brain surgery. Not being awarded the daily living component means in turn I lose my carers allowance besides his benefits being halved which is devastating for us and don't know how we will manage as the amount of care he needs restricts what I can do job wise as I'm a single parent. I have wrote and asked for a mandatory reconsideration of the dwp's decision and sent copies of my son's a & e history and also a letter from the epilepsy nurse at great ormond street saying he needs 24 hour supervision for his own safety etc. Does anybody know if the dwp have to work to any timescale in replying to a reconsderation request?? Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes they should reply within a month. I suggest you get in touch with your local MP . If the Mandatory Reconsideration is refused you need to fill out a SSCS1 form  within a month of their MR refusal to take this case to appeal. I am waiting on this right now. Having been awarded 2 years enhanced rate before shoulder surgery with Fibromyalgia for 9years. And frozen shoulder for four years . When I told them my condition had got worse after shoulder  surgery they stopped it due to a totally incompetent assessment. You can get a copy of your son's assessment report. Best of luck
  • Posted

I have been on dla for over 7 years.my main problem is a have a life long condition and have had my left hip removed so my left leg is 5" shorter.im on crutches and have quite a few other medical problems.i cant put my own socks shoes etc on.ive recently had the medical for PIP got my answer today and i dont qualify for anything.ive put an appeal in but i think thisbis ridiculous.i no the goverment is cutting costs , but how can i go from getting 317.00 pounds a month for 7 years to nothing.i will loose my warm home discount which helps me out alot and im scared this will bring back my depreasion with a force...what is this country coming to.....
    • Posted

Best thing to do is appeal. You have nothing to lose. This has happened tome twice once by the Esa and now by the PIPS. I was reinstated the ESA after a very fierce and stressful and very painful time after shoulder surgery. Now ironically Esa put me into the support group whereas PIPS have stopped my money after being awarded 2 years enhanced rate. I am not working so have hardly any money coming in. I am praying the Judge reinstates my PIPS.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies folks we have been refused again so now going to ask for a tribunal I have an appointment with citizens advice next Wednesday to do the forms and letter etc and getting in touch with local mp also. This is horrific making people who have enough on their plates coping with their illness and the impact it has in their lives besides all this stress and worry.
  • Posted

Well we went to tribunal last Wednesday and before we went in the room they had already made their decision and awarded my son the enhanced daily rate and didn't even need to question my son. They said by all the evidence they had looked at it was clear that is what he needed. Don't give up people keep fighting!!

• Posted

Well done for persevering It is unforgivable what they put us through It was clear that they had fiddled my assessment report and I had to wait for 5months with no money coming in living on a knife edge. Something has got to be done about this hellhole!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.