Pip mobility without daily living?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm new here I had my pip assessment 4 weeks ago and received a copy of report couple of days ago. She had given me 6 points for daily living and 8 points for mobility. After reading the report she had totally disregarded my mental health issues, she asked how I was feeling on the day and I told her it was a good day, a also had my assessment at my home and had family members there for support so I was more relaxed because of that she basically said I had no sign of depression or anxiety. So I phoned pip and asked if I could leave a note on my file for desision maker to see guy said yes he would add what I wanted so basically I said she has totally disregarded my mental health issues. Even thou my medical evidence shows how I have suffered with depression and anxiety etc etc. I told her it was a good day and I had support there being my niece and daughter, also I was in my own home! Had a not had support or family with me it would be a different story. Also to disregard mental health when the law has just changed is not fair and not acceptable. Sorry for long 1st post but firstly can you get mobility without daily living because I didn't think you could. Secondly has anyo.e else had similar experience? Tia

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Yes I've just had the same experience.

It has left me feeling very frustrated that they can tell by looking at you what's going on inside. My depression and anxiety was totally disregarded even though I have a history of it.

I ended up in tears at the interview as I was so stressed yet the report said that I had coped well!

Even though I now want to appeal I am worried that the decision will be totally overturned for mobility as I've heard I risk that, plus I don't know if I'm brave enough to go through it again, it's so stressful.

So it looks like they can get away with saying whatever they want with no consequences.

I don't understand the point of explaining how you're affected by your disabilities for it only to be ignored.

I'd be interested in how you get on.

Sarah39369

• Posted

HI Christine,

Yes you can get mobility without the daily living part, lots do.

When you say the law has changed, do you mean the descriptors for PIP? If so then no they actually haven't changed yet. Even though it was an Upper Tribunal decision the DWP haven't yet changed those descriptors, the existing ones still apply.

During your assessment you said you told her you were having a good day. Did you tell her exactly how your affected on those bad days? You need to tell them exactly how you're affected, daily. Not every assessor will take the time to read the evidence before the assessment, believe it or not.

Your next step is to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to ask for this. You have to wait for the decision letter before requesting the MR. You also need to put it in writing stating exactly what you disgree with and where you think you should have scored those points and why. Avoid mentioning those lies if at all possible during the MR letter because the next decision maker won't be interested in what lies were told. Complaints about the report can and should be sent to the assessment providers.

If you ask for the MR you do risk losing everything you already have, so be aware of that. Only 20% of MR decisions change so the likelyhood of you taking it to Tribunal is very high. Any extra evidence you have should be sent with the MR request letter and i advice you to get more, if possible. When writing the letter take a look at the PIP descriptors to see where you can score those extra points.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.