PIP Outcome with a confusing result

Posted , 7 users are following.

Yes as expected a rather indifferent outcome, not that I expected much else really and I ought to be quite satisfied but I'm not because I'm sure they are talking about someone else?

I got standard rate Mobility, which means no entitlement to a car. I have been on motability fot 10 years due to my condition - so what's changed?

Well for one I wasn't complaining about my back or legs neither on the PIP form or the assessment. I have no circulation in my feet and I sent photographs and information about how the condition affects me along with numerous medical notes.. The decision letter came with no mention of my circulation problems, my feet or the fact that walking was a problem because of the discomfort

They said they appreciated the fact I had restrictions in my back and legs - err I never said that I had, that was obviously how the assessor wrote the form. I was never asked about my feet at the assessment only how far I could walk to which I answered on bad days which I have more than good, not very far and certainly not 20 metres without severe pain

Also they said I had written I had problems planning and following a journey - no I didnt!  I remember ticking the "No" box of that question, so who are they actually talking about here?

I have rung the DWP and the guy agreed that the assesment made no mention of my circulation which was clearly stated on my PIP form along with photographic evidence of my white/blue feet

I am awauting a call from the decision maker to explain the decision because I am confused as to why they assessed me on something I never included on my form?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The problem with PIP seems to be that what you get is determined by the decision maker regardless of the amount of infomation and evidence provided with the PIP2 form, or at the assessment. As previously said, DMs will try to find any excuse under the sun to try and limit the amount of points you get. I remember my call from the DM, and everytime I disputed her she would say either "there is no evidence to suggest that" or "Sorry, but I believe that your condition doesn't affect you that much" and then she hanged up after 5 minutes - that really peed me off. 
  • Posted

i think the whole system is set out to limit any award . i was assesed for pip and only got awarded the lower rate of mobility and nothing else and bear in mind i had my right leg amputated above the knee 3 months later and i am now waiting for a re,assesment  but not expeting a better outcome . i have just been assesed for industrial compensation alowance and the assesor didnt know what a femoral nail was ?????and considering i was sat infront of her with shorts on  and had an examination stated i had a below the knee amputation . the other fact that i find infuriating is they have a snapshot of your condition the day of the assesment  they dont see the times your at home without your prosthetic on and back on crutches unable to do vertualy any normal everyday tasks  ive only had my prosthetic 13 weeks  although i am and have been walking without aids for a month they look at you and emidiately deem you to be doing extremely well ok i pushed myself very hard to get mobile and walk without sticks and to this i will now be penalised if as i said to the examiner i just sat on my arse and spent all day moaning about how hard life is i would get awarded more.  it is extremely dificult to get accros to someone how hard walking with an above the knee prosthetic is and all the relavent ristrictions and difficulties

i will just have to see what happens once i am re,assesed

• Posted

David you seem to have fallen foul of one of the cruelist bits of the PIP process. You are deemed 'mobile' if you can stand with one biological leg on the ground along with a prosthetic 'aid'.

So when you say they immeadately deem you as doing very well, you couldn't nearer the truth.

• Posted

Of course it is, PIP itself was created to actually cut back on the money that was being spent on DLA. It certainly wasn't designed for the reason that politicians say it was. By the government's own admissions, they wanted a new system that would reduce the overall DLA budget by 20%

As an aside, it is well known and accepted that the PIP handbook that the DWP use as their 'bible' is so far from what the law allows that it is shamefull. It was written and devised for the government as their interpretation of what the law is (obviously bending towards saving more money) .

• Posted

Have you looked in stents  they helped my husband. They are placed in the arteries to improve blood and oxygen circulation.
    • Posted

I will agree with that. I have them in both legs and the groin. They saved me having to lose my leg(s).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.