PIP over 65

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi Iv just been told I can revive pip I'm 64 can anyone tell me what happens when I'm 65 do I still revive it or have I got to apply for something else ? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

No if you are awarded it before your 65th birthday you can keep the award until you are next assessed or you have a reportable change of circumstances.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Les yes it should of read received yes I was not sure 
    • Posted

I don't know if it replies to everyone or just my mother in law because of her circumstances or maybe she was due an assessment of her pip but since she turned 65 she was put onto attendance allowance

• Posted

In that case she would have failed the PIP assessment and managed to get onto Attendance Allowance instead before it shuts down.
    • Posted

Attendance Allowance is NOT shutting down. No change anticipated before April 2018.  
    • Posted

Thank you for helping me understand it better iv never asked as it is not my business and iv never understood any of the benefits they way they work
    • Posted

According to the DWP if you qualify for PiP before age 65, you keep it indefinitely and through any subsequent assessments for as long as you continue to qualify.  However, if you were not in receipt of higher rate PIP mobility component before age 65, you cannot claim it after age 65 even if your mobility worsens.
  • Posted

Hi Bob. If you are under 65 you can claim PIP and as far as I know the claim will continue after age 65 as long as you continue to qualify.  If you decide to claim, have a look at my post on completing the claim form, you may find it helpful, and I'm happy to help in any way if I can.

• Posted

Just checked my facts and if the award of PiP was made before age 65, you can stay on PIP indefinitely after age 65 for as long as you continue to qualify through subsequent reassessments.  The only point I would mention is that on the DWP website it does state that if you were not in receipt of the higher rate mobility component when you turned 65, you would not be able to claim it after age 65 if your mobility worsened.  Not sure how this works, so if anyone does, please let me know.
    • Posted

Or thanks for that Pam that's great no il be only getting the DL not mobility  it's such a messing around but that's for your reply 

• Posted

Any application for a mobility award made after your 65th birthday will not be entertained simply because old age itself causes mobility issues.

Being old (over 65) is not a disability.

Otherwise the country would be awash with motability cars used and probably driven by the majority of the 'grey' brigade.

• Posted

This has probably been said already

If you had an existing claim to DLA before you turn 65 you continue to get paid that ALL NEW CLAIMS would be under Attendance allowance

All new claims for those 16-64 year olds will be PIP

A claim by oarent or guardian for anyone under 16 will still be treated as DLA

• Posted

Thanks for clarifying the AA aspect. Although there has been a great deal of debate on this forum over when/if AA is likely to be scrapped.

As I understand it at the moment you can currently make a new claim and continue to receive the award after/if it is scrapped.

No doubt the DWP will advise us of what is to happen in due course.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.