PIP Payment

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

Im after some advice please, I had 2 big operations for Flexor tendon on my left had in 2011,

the operation was a success but I have never been able t straighten my finger since even though I had lots of physio it has never been the same, however I have lived with it and go to work everyday,

but I have noticed the last few month, severe pain , pins and needles and the finger has just got worse,

i had to ask my 15 year old the other day to help me dress as my finger was numb,

I have an appointment Friday in my doctors to discuss this, would it be worth me applying for the minimum of pip? I also suffer from carpel tunnel too,

any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities against the PIP descriptors. To be honest, based on what you said here then i highly doubt you'll score the minimum of 8 points needed for a daily living award of PIP. Needing help to dress the other day will not qualify you for a PIP award.

An award is based on scoring points against the PIP descriptors. If a person struggles with activities at least 50% of the time (so 4 days out of 7) they may score points in that descriptor. Have you looked at the descriptors online? You really need to have some understanding of what it's all about before even thinking of starting a claim. Evidence will be needed also to support your claim and a face to face assessment is highly likely.

You should speak to your GP about the pain in your finger and maybe they can recommend some pain relief so you can manage the pain better. For carpel tunnel then a wrist support will most likely be recommended, i have this and wear w support recommended by my GP but i don't claim PIP for this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.