PIP payments

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello there, does anyone with AS claim PIP, I have just applied over the phone, waiting for the mammoth application forms to arrive. Just wondering if anyone is in receipt of this benefit. Never claimed anything like this before, but the citizens advice people said I should try as Im now struggling to do things.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi gillian , It was mentioned to me after I'd been having to get taxi's to work and hospital if everyone was at work , I work in a post office so basically once I'm there I actually rest just as much as if I were at home so I'm reluctant to take the sick notes my gp keeps offering me, iv only struggled to this extent since the new year and it was a colleague that said I ought to apply as the point of it was to also try to help sufferers live as normal a life as possible , whatever normal is!....I'm also still waiting for the forms to arrive , good luck
    • Posted

Hi Donna, we spoke a while back about claiming PIP. Have to have go for an appointment with ATOS after all this time of waiting. Just wondered if you have had any success with your claim, appointment etc. Hope you are well.
  • Posted

Tried it Got fobbed of I can make my own food go to work bath my self.

the fact that I can not bend down am on powerful pain killers can have to get up at 5 am to try and sort myself out for work was totally ignored. And yes I have appealed the decision. My poor wife bless her is a star and tries her best to help me out on bad days problem is she has just been diagnosed with early on set dementia a rather large shock.

Good luck with the claim I'll keep my fingers crossed for you top tip do not try to put a brave face on it at the interview tell it as it is you do not get any bonus for being brave.

• Posted

Hi there, thanks for your reply. So sorry to hear about your wife, just another set of problems for you to face.To be honest Im considering cancelling the appointment altogether. I too manage to bathe, work a few hours,cut my own food up etc. Ive never had a painfree day since I was diagnosed with AS in 1986, apart from being on holiday in the sun which was wonderful. My hands and feet now are extremely stiff and painful but I manage. I dont think that anyone understands this disease unless they have experienced it. I have lost faith in my rheumatologist, if I go in with a smile on my face, he ticks a box and off I go for another six months. Maybe I will go, see what happens, I just hate having to talk about myself and my struggles with these people looking at you like youre wasting their time. Anyway take care, feel free anytime to have a chat, sometimes its nice to talk to others who know exactly how you feel.
    • Posted

Hello.

I applied for PIP a while ago. I got the most enormous form to fill in. I was advised to focus on the really bad days. You need to think about the smallest things and it is quite depressing when you are a positive person.

for example, I mentioned that having a shower can be tricky (some mornings its hard to stand up), I can cut my food but mentioned the swelling in my fingers and how painful it can be when gripping. Its not an easy form to fill in, but think really carefully about everything you do. 

I had my meeting a couple of weeks ago. I still havent heard but the man who did the interview said that he couldnt see any reason why I wouldnt get it. On the day of my meeting, I didnt take any painkillers. That made me feel like I do on my worse days and it made it easier to talk about it. 

Even though it is a drawn out process, it can be worth it. I cant work because of my AS and PsA, so really need any financial help going. 

Good luck with your application x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.