PIP renewal vs. Review

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been getting originally DLA at the higher rate for care and mobility and bow PIP at the same since 2003 and although I have had to go to tribunals consistently every 3 years or so from 2009 onwards and the decisions to reduce my awards overturned each time meaning my higher rate upheld.

I find myself yet again looking at the process to start again as my renewal date approaches in Oct/Nov of this year, I'm left feeling rather discriminated against as I'm pretty sure I won't be receiving the AR1 form but the PIP2 instead.

My question then is why is that although I've won the last 4 tribunals it is an almost certainly will be subjected to not only having to complete the full forms, but the embarrassment of an assessment by a so called health professional and not the review forms which gives the person the option of "no change" (which is the case since my spinal ops in 2005 and 2006).

Is this due to my age (44) or what other reason?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

As your PIP was awarded by a Tribunal then DWP will contact you about 14 weeks before the award is due to end and yes it will be the PIP2 forms that you will receive.

Regardless of which form it is ALL PIP claims, whether it's a renewal form or a PIP2 form should be treated as a new claim by all claimants. If you did receive the review form the just putting in "no change" will not help your PIP claim at all. You should always put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you and add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Send relevant evidence with the form to support your claim too.

Whether it's a review for or a PIP2 form most people have face to face assessments. Just because a person fills out a review form this doesn't mean that they will have a paper based assessment and they will be awarded again, this is not how it works. Paper based assessments are rare. Age has nothing to do with it at all.

Do be aware also that if a decision isn't made on your PIP by the end date of your award then your PIP will stop. If you're successfully awarded then it will be back dated to the date it stopped. This could also affect any other benefits you maybe claiming and also will affect carers allowance, if someone is claiming this for looking after you.

• Posted

im exactly in the same position. However after tribunal my motability was lowered because i did not take my wheelchair on holiday and because of this i had my car taken off me and am now housebound as i cannot walk and need help with my chair.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.