Pip renwal

Posted , 3 users are following.

Could I ask advise please. My pip award isn't due to end until 2017. The DWP sent me a renewal form 12 months early. I sent it back with alot of further info. They have had my form now almost 5 weeks. ( saying it is still with a dwp case handler)I have not heard a thing yet. No appointment no nothing. I'm really nervous. My condition is life long and will never improve but I dress to go through all this again.

Apparently it has to be sent to the assessment provider. So they can decide if I need and an assessment it not. But i don't see why it's taking so long to send it across.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clare

PIP always assess claimants 12 months before their timed claim is due to run out that’s why they are reassessing you now.

It is easy to be a bit paranoid and believe any delay is down to something about your specific claim. Almost certainly that is not the case any delay is due to staff shortages at both the assessment providers and the DWP. You simply have to be patient but at some point you will hear from them.

Again almost certainly you will have to have a face to face assessment. The golden rule is to make sure the assessor is aware of any personal care you receive or any mobility issues you may have and why you need assistance. Don’t just rely on medical evidence.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response.

When I rung to see what was happening I was told that they wasn't sure whether I would be have an assessment again. He said somethimes they don't with it being a renewal. ( depending on your condition and if there is any chance it could improve)

A lady I know dis her form,had her reassment done And got a decision in about 8 weeks. This was only recently and with the same assessment company. Its making my condition worse as I am just worrying about it.

I am worried of I lose my car as I will be stuck at home more and unable to go to uni or work. It just seems like torture

• Posted

The Motability charity state:

"According to Motability, who lease cars and powered wheelchairs to the disabled, 3,000 out of 8,000 of their customers who have so far been reassessed have lost their eligibility for the scheme and have therefore had to give up their vehicles.

And this could rise to more than 100,000."

?Given those figures and the fact that approx another 3 million current DLA awardees have still to be assessed for PIP in the transfer, the picture can only get worse.

?Try not to worry, you are not alone. Maybe now is the time to hand back the car and buy your own before it may have to go back.

?I used my DLA payments until they were stopped earlier this year to help pay the finance on the car I now have. Thankfully it was a 3 year finance agreement that expired in June.

?You have to be proactive and protect yourself.

• Posted

Thank you les

I was never on DLA. I only applied for pip 2 years ago. I did have my own car but sold it when I was offered the mobility car. I didn't understand that I only had my pip for 3 year and it could be taken away again.

I wish i knew this when I first for accepted onto pip. Are these still the stats for people who have only ever been on pip and not DLA

Thanks

• Posted

Not too sure on that, I normally only see the stats of people whole have been on DLA High Mobility for decades yet get no award under PIP or at best Standard rate Mobility.

?Pre PIP It was the norm that if you were awarded High Mobility of DLA it was an almost cert that you would keep that award for years to come giving you the peace of mind that the Motability car would not be taken back. Under PIP no one has that certainty anymore. If you have say a 10 year PIP award it is almost inevitable that in that 10 year period you will go through at least one full re-assessment where anything can happen.

?Being on a 2/3 year award would have rung alarm bells for me. I would have thought long and hard about what could happen on renewal. I had a Motability car and after PIP came in in April 2013 I sent the car back after only 18 months of having it. I knew that there was a good chance that when asked to convert to PIP the car would have been taken back in any event. So I gambled that I may still get DLA for another 3 years before I had to go to PIP so took out a 3 year finance deal to top up my cash deposit to buy a decent car.

?Thankfully the DLA payments came to an end within a couple of months of the finance finishing.

?I ended up with no PIP award despite having had High Mobility & Middle Care since 1995. So yes I took the right decision. 

• Posted

Hi Clare

Yes it is true that more paper based awards are being made. Your previous assessment would have been 2 years ago so I would say you are border line when it comes to a reassessment.

The trick would be to provide overwhelming evidence that your condition hasn’t improved. Supply any recent documentation stating this and if you haven’t got any then see your GP and asking him to write a letter stating this. Also when you fill out the PIP2 put the exact same information you put down last time about any personal care or lack of mobility (unable to walk more than 20m in a reasonable time, safely and repeatedly) and stress that NOTHING HAS IMPROVED.

• Posted

Thank you. With regards to what led said i didnt think about the award only being 2 to 3 years as I have always worked and never done anything like this before. I thought that I would just have a check up next year and things would continue. It's all very new for me.

I did send in 20 pages of answers to their questions on my renewal as I'm a little complex. I was born with my conditions but only diagnosed 2 years ago. There will never be any improvment and things will only decline. I have had to sell my business so I can retrain as I couldn't do my job safely anymore. So now I work on a very low wage from home whilst I study again.

I got a letter from my doctor and he includes letters from various departments that I am under. So the envelope was jam packed when I returned it. They will no there is no cure for my conditions but I hues it's just how they want to deal with it now.

I went straight on pip at this level so I'm unsure how they can reduce my award when I won't get any better . Do you think it depends who is the case manager and assessors.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Clare

The DWP can reduce your entitlement if they believe your disability has improved or the new assessment contradicts the last one. It can come down to who the Decision Maker and Assessor are but if the evidence is overwhelming and you match the descriptors then the odds are very much in your favor.

When PIP was introduced the idea was to assess everyone periodically no matter what their condition was. Slowly but surely the DWP are beginning to learn that this is not cost effective and more 10 year periods are being awarded for conditions with little prospect of recovery.

• Posted

I was surprised to hear today that the DWP are to announce that those with chronic conditions that are unlikely to change, Parkinsons or Cystic Fibrosis etc that they will be exempt from having to have regular re-assessments for ESA by being given indefinite awards.

?I do wonder if this is to be rolled out for PIP?

?Mind you if it does I can see all claimants attempting to argue that whatever is wrong with them is chronic and that the condition will never improve! The floodgates will open to try and expand the rule to include all known conditions - will the likes of Arthritis, ME, Depression etc be recognised as being in the same category of Parkinsons, CF and other terrible afflictions?

I don't think that the SOS has thought this through well enough.

• Posted

Hi Les

Almost certainly it will eventually be rolled out to PIP and I for one would be glad to see it.

I see your point about chronic conditions but as you suffer with a chronic condition you have personal experience that they never improve.

Moving on interesting point you have brought up. Yesterday I helped a friend make an initial application for PIP. We did the data protection and then I spoke for him. I was surprised to be asked did he suffer with a number of conditions of mental health conditions such as Parkinson’s, clinical depression etc.

As it happens he doesn't but I thought it odd that they were asking specifically about certain conditions. Obviously I jumped to the conclusion they were up to no good but now you have mentioned this information I'm beginning to wonder.

• Posted

It makes me wonder why on earth they couldn't have tightened the criteria for DLA and kept everything simple?

• Posted

Yes Anthony it appears that I do. But this 'offer' by the government is far too late for me to benefit from.

?On another note, I do wonder how they would treat a serious chronic condition that on the face of it is there for life and will never improve, but with new drugs that seem to appear regularly, the side effects of these conditions are much more controlled and sufferers are now able to lead a much improved independant life when compared to say a few years ago.

• Posted

Hi les and Anthony.

That is good news for some people. It sounds as if there is a slight u turn. I hope it does come into pip.

Whether it would benefit me is another matter. But im glad it will help some people smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.