PIP review timing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, everyone.

I am a fulltime carer and the person I have been looked after receives PIP.

His award is till Sep next year.

I thought usually the review happens 12 months before the end date (this is his second award and he was called for f2f review before his first award's end date.) which is supposed to be the last month but he hasn't received any letter or review form,

I cannot remember where I read it, maybe a forum similar to this, some people said they send you review form 3 months before the end date. They also said if the person is awarded by tribunal, he/she has to reapply from the scratch.

I've never heard of this and I have been trying to find the source of this information but no success.

Have they changed the rules of review date?

He has mental/physical problems and I've been helping him to fill in the forms and I really want to know what the latest review process and the rules so I can prepare and start gathering evidences now.

I really appreciate if some one can help me. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi are you absolutely sure he has not received his review forms yet? do you know how long his benefit time was, mine was three years and i have just sent my review back and it was sent near enough to the two years mark, maybe his was longer that's why you haven't heard yet so possibly no need to worry yet.

If he has his paperwork handy you could check it for the dates.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply.

It seems like the reason he hasn't receive the review form is because Tribunal award.

He has to reapply soon or later so I will start gathering evidence anyway.

• Posted

Hi,

Awards that you given by Tribunals usually have end dates and these awards don't have reviews. Awards with end dates are contacted 3 months before the award is due to end. If a decision isn't made by the time the end date has arrived then PIP will stop. If the decision goes in their favour PIP is backdated to the date it stopped.

If the award wasn't given by a Tribunal then there will be a review 1 year before the award is due to end. As Alexandria advised, check the award letter to make sure you have the correct dates. If the dates are correct and there's been no change of address since the award was given then he needs to ring PIP to ask them why he hasn't received the review forms.

• Posted

Thank you for the clear answer.

Yes, he was awarded by tribunal.

As I understand what you wrote, he will receive a new application form three months before the end of the current award. Is that right?

I guess the whole process till the decision usually would take more than three months, so he should expect there might be some time he wouldn't get PIP payment as his life relies on it.

• Posted

The form won't automatically be sent to him. I believe DWP will contact him 3 months before stating if he wants to continue with the PIP claim then he needs to make a new claim.

It does vary on length of time from returning the form to have the assessment then a decision. Some wait a few months and others wait several months. Expect the payments to stop, if this happens any carers allowance that's being claimed will also stop.

• Posted

Hi. My PIP decision in March 2016 made by tribunal was for 3 =yrs. Last July had another assement and was awarded for 4=yrs with no tribunal. So, in my case, the review took place 8=months before end date.

• Posted

Thank you for the information.

Could I ask a few questions?

Was it review or reapply?

Which form did you have to fill in? Review form (AR1) or application form?

Did DWP contacte you or did you request renewal yourself?

(I have found an information which says you can request renew claim early to avoid any gaps in your PIP Payment.)

• Posted

Yes of course you can contact DWP earlier but be very careful doing it this way because if the decision doesn't go in his favour then he will lose out on money. Personally i would prefer to be contacted 3 months before because at least this way you're not losing out. With reviews if the decison doesn't go in your favour your money stops, regardless of when your PIP award date ends. This could be as much as 9 months money.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.