PIP STOPPED

Posted , 3 users are following.

HI I recently went for my PIP assessment in August and now my PIP has stopped. I initially received DLA since 2011 for severe depression and anxiety. Since 2011 I have also developed Fibromygalia, a rare auto immune disease called Lichen Planus and have 2 discs and possible stensosis in my spine for which I'm due yet another MRI on the 20th this month. According to PIP I can manage my conditions despite being on several types of medication and occasionally using a walking stick...im 39. I had to give up work voluntarily 2 years ago as my body caved in. I suffer major panic attacks and get physically sick with anxiety. PIP also claimed I can manage finances which in I told them I didn't as my husband has deals with everything to do with house and car. PIP assessor also said I could sit and stand no bother and that i could touch below my knees which was a load of rubbish. I can't bend at all.

To make matters worse today I get a letter saying my ESA has now been reduced by£55 a week due to a change in income but yet no explanation. This has resulted in me vomiting twice since getting the letter. I do want to work but as I am social worker it entails long hours and stressful caseeloads and my conditions really flare up with it plus I can never tell when my back is going to go into spasm and I am unable to move for 2 to 3 days at a time. I explained all this and yet it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I am extremely low at the minute and have been given yet more medication to manage my symptoms. I am now on 11 tablets a day. Would any of you say that is managing a condition. Never mind side affects.

I had to send a letter to PIP myself initially appealing as I ignored it for 3 weeks before opening it as I couldn't cope. I am in with a benefits advisor next week. Has anyone any advice on what I should do before then or get in place for him when I meet him

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Oh crikey Edele, I'm sorry to hear things are not good for you.

I'm sure that Denise or one of the other experienced contributors to the forum will be along soon to advise you.  I don't know enough about it I'm afraid,  to be able to give you good advice, so just hang on in there. 

• Posted

Hi edele,

I'm sorry to hear that. You say your PIP stopped was it a review or were you transfering from DLA? I know you mention all those conditions BUT PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's about how your conditions affect you daily. Have you had a look at those PIP descriptors? It's important that you understand what it's all about as it's totally different to DLA. Did you send in any evidence to support your claim? This is also important because they almost never contact any medical professional.

I don't understand why you say part of your ESA has stopped because there's no £55 payment that i know of. You wouldn't be eligible for Severe Disability Premium because you don't live alone and the only other premium is Enhanced disability premium which isn't £55 per week. You need to ring ESA and ask them why it's been reduced by £55.

I'm unsure by your post if you've asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) which is the first step to an appeal. You can't take it to Tribunal without first going through the MR process. Either way you have 28 days to get this in. If you didn't send in evidence to support your claim to start with then you can do this now. Most MR decisions remain the same so be prepared to take it to Tribunal. 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour, it's much less for those who ask for a paper based decision. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.