Pip stopped completely after 2 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am new on this website. I just had so much going on in my head. About 2 months ago I had my second consultation and the results was so different from the first one. In the first one I was given 16 points for living  and 8 for mobility descriptors. Then the second test scored me 6 points for living and 4 for mobility descriptors. I am so anxious and upset as they decided to stop it completely and have the chick to say that I may owe them money. I am so disappointed as I am trying so hard to make ends meet and because of my condition (CFS/ME) things are going to be a lot worse. Is there any point appealing as I feel they do not care about people with genuine illness...

please help.. any comments would be really appreciated

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi May,

When was the decision made please? Was it within the last month? If it was then you'll need to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) Do you have a copy of the assessment report? It's much longer and more detailed than the decision letter you received. If you don't have a copy of this then i'd advice you to ring DWP tomorrow morning and ask them to send you a copy. From there you'll need to put your MR request in writing stating what you disagree with and what points you think you should have scored. Did you send in evidence to support your claim? I know it was a review but evidence is still needed. If you didnt then i'd advice you to send evidence with the MR letter.

Most MR decisions remain the same so be prepared to have to take it to Tribunal. 65% of those who appear at their Tribunal have a decision in their favour.

If the decision was longer than 1 month ago then i'll tell you what you need to do next. I won't tell you now because it will save me typing all the details if the decision was made within the last month.

If you are claiming any Income related benefits as well as the PIP then unfortunately these will also be affected IF you were claiming any of the disability premiums on top.

If someone was claiming Carers Allowance for looking after you then this will also stop 4 weeks after the decision was made.

I'm not sue why they've told you that you may owe them money because you were awarded the PIP last time. Did you actually state in the decision letter that you may owe them money?

It's always worth appealing because people are successful with this. Not so much the MR stage but certainly with the Tribunal stage. I'll warn you though that if it gets to Tribunal stage then it's a very long process. Lots of people are waiting 1 year for their date for the hearing. Of course it will depend on backlog in your area.

Please let me know when the decision was made and i can help you further if need be.

• Posted

Thanks for replying my post. I am having nightmares about this decision and I wish things were differently. Yes I just received the letter on Friday. I am in such a shock. I am definitely going to call dwp and ask them for a copy of the report. I think that woman wrote a bunch of lies about me and that's why I'm in this position. It doesn't matter how much medical evidence you provide I just felt they twist things about to turn it against you. Sorry for typing these thoughts I just been so upset and confused 

• Posted

You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the MR. My advice to you is when you ring today to request that report if they ask you do you want the MR tell them you're seeking advice before deciding what to do. Don't mention that MR just yet. Once you have that report then start to put that letter together. Good the PIP descriptors so you can see what points can be scored while you write that letter. If you ring DWP again a few days before the deadline for the MR they will then give you a further 1 month from the date you request it. Then you can send everything you have.

As i said most MR decisions do stay the same. Once you've go the MR back if it's stayed the same you can then request the Tribunal. For this you will need a copy of the MR decision letter and attach it to a SSCS1 form and send it to the Tribunal.

CAB are very good at helping with this sort of thing. Or any other disability advice centre near you. I'd advice you to google what's available near you, if you need help. My advice to you is please do plan to appear in person at that hearing.

Good luck and if you need any further advice, please just ask.

• Posted

One thing i did forget to mention was that your money will continue for a further 4 weeks, then it will stop. If your successful at either the MR or Tribunal, it will be backdated to the date it stopped.
    • Posted

It stopped completely on the 4th March, the last payment was in February. So it seems this is going to be stressful all the way through I hope they will favour me at the end.. 
    • Posted

If last payment was February then you should have 1 last payment because PIP is paid 4 weeks in arrears. It will most likely be a very long process but fight for what you're entitled to.

Did they give a reason on the decision letter as to why they gave you less points this time to the last time you were assessed? If they didn't, they should have because there's a case law for this from the Upper Tribunal. They have said that if at review your award is lowered or even taken away completely then DWP MUST give a reason. If they didn't then if you do get to Tribunal then no doubts about it, you'll win for sure.

• Posted

They gave some reasons but they were contradicting themselves. Saying like I can understand you can't do this but I'm deciding to give you zero points for many descriptors. I'm a bit confused why they stopped like that and suggesting I owe them money 

• Posted

I'd ring DWP and ask them why you owe them this money and exactly how much they're saying you owe. I've never heard of anything so ridiculous. Hope you get that part sorted ASAP. If you don't then maybe a visit to your local CAB for further advice about the money they're saying you owe, would be a good idea. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi everyone,  I sent the letter for a reconsideration about 2 months ago. Still no reply, but I'm not sure what to do. I'm trying to apply for jobs but still no good news. I try to stay positive but it is not really working 

• Posted

Hi,

Unfortunately there's no timescales for Mandatory Reconsiderations, they can infact take as long as they want. You can ring DWP any time and ask if there's a decision made yet, or ask if they can tell you approx how much longer it will be. It is a very long process, especially when most MR decisions remain the same. Hopefully not too long now but do expect to have to take it to Tribunal as only 20% succeed at this stage.

• Posted

Yes, I'm thinking to go to tribunal if it's rejected. Someohow I'm still receiving pip payments. I'm a bit confused. They will claim me this money for sure so I settled it aside and trying to meet ends with food banks. Although, I don't qualify for any other benefits and I don't know what to do. I'm just trying to apply for jobs but nothing yet. Thanks for your reply 

• Posted

Have you rang DWP to ask why you're still receiving payment? If you haven't then i'd advice you to ring them to ask what's going on. As the decision didn't go in your favour then you really shouldn't still be receiving payments. I know you said you're keeping them but it's still stressful having an overpayment.

You say you don't qualify for any other benefits. Do you have a partner that works?

• Posted

Hi everyone, 

Just to keep you all update. I checked my account and the final payment was done in March. No need to worry about being overpay at this stage.

Recently, called dwp and found they never received my MT letter. So  sending it again. Luckily I kept a copy so I can them that one and I will opt this time with recorded delivery. No sure at this point how things will go but I'll try although there is very little slim chances to get it approved. Hopefully it will turn up ok. 

Thanks everyone for all your support 

• Posted

Hi,

Reading back on your first post which was 3 months ago. This means that because DWP didn't receive your MR request letter within the 28 days deadline, before you re-sent that letter again did you add onto the letter the reason why you're late with the request? Yes, there is actually a 13 month time frame to ask for this, however it can only happen if the reason is good enough. DWP may just write to you with a immediate decision and keep to the original decision because of the letter now classed as being late.

Most MR decisions stay the same anyway so it's not the end of the world, i just wanted to prepare you. Once you receive the decision letter you'll need to attach it to the SSCS1 form for your Tribunal request, assuming you're planning on taking it that far? For the best chance of winning you should also plan to appear in person. Very long process with Tribunal waiting time almost 1 year in some areas. Good luck.

• Posted

Yes I will enclosed a cover letter, explaining why I resend this. Although I called them and they said they will write on my file that I sent them a MR letter but it got lost in the post. I am still unsure but I am not expecting much at this point. I'm loosing hope,  

Anyway many thanks for y'all your help and support 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.