PIP Stress

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband was awarded DLA 9 years ago.  This was lower rate care & higher rate mobility, awarded indefinately.  Had our letter for PIP before christmas and his f2f 'interview' in march.  We find it ironic that the process for DLA involved a 1 hour medical with a Dr, yet the PIP can make a decision after a 40 minute interview with a Paramedic (ATOS). We can relate to so many of the other discussions on here.

My husband is an ex-soldier, (151/2 years) injured in an IRA explosion in NI. Resulting in a back injury, hearing damage, number of wounds, and PTSD.  (His PIP report states he had an accident in the Army which hurt his back. ERRR).   We received the report form ATOS,  then we received a letter from Motorbility saying our car is due back on or before 9th May as claim rejected.  I rang and complained that we had not been notified by PIP.  We received the full report a couple of days later rejecting our claim for the care and the motorbility with NO POINTS given at all.  It was only when a friend read both reports she picked up on conflicting information - parts my hubby should have recieved points on some of the questions.  

We paid £26 for a letter from our GP that was not even listed as Additional Evidence.  In fact it appears it is not worth the paper is is written on to PIP.  My hubby only sees his GP, who monitors his conditions and manages his medication on a monthly basis.  It seems, it goes against him because he does not see a councellor for depression, PTSD etc,  he does not see consultant for osteoarthritis and Spondylosis, The GP is monitoring his memory problems.

The GP's letter states for them to contact him for further information, but they haven't.  I have been with my hubby for a 1 hour hearing assessment this week so we can prove he is hard of hearing, due to damage caused by the explosion, but we have been told PIP will ask what the printout means - we have some but little understanding of it.   The PIP report states the pain relief my husband has is 'OK' the fact he is still in constant pain 24/7 weather he is walking, sitting, standing etc.  and the medication has side effects. 

My hubby has lost the motorbility part due to the re-wording of the 

new form.  The DLA used to ask how far can you walk without severe pain and discomfort.  With PIP it does not matter about the pain you are in during day to day tasks or the  depression.the pain causes, as long as you can walk.     My husband works part time as a driver, only 15 hours a wee, he does this for his own self worth, and helps with his depression, otherwise he would be in the house  whilst i am at work.

We have put in for a MR but are struggling to have any further evidence. to go with it.

I have written to my local MP, the Secretary of State for Works and Pensions and Johnny Mercer MP who is campaigning for better care for Veterens, to complain about this system and the stress and anxiety it is causing to disabled people.  It probably wont do a blind (no pun intended) bit of good, but it has made me feel better.

Sorry for the rant.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That is do sad. Pray that they will review their decision in your favour. Thinking of you. Have you considered appealing?

All the best

• Posted

Hi. Thank you for your kind wordd. Yes we are appealing. It seems we will have to go right through to Tribunal. I am sure my hubby wouldn't be able to do it himselfor, but WE will.We have nothing to lose. We will also fight against the system on principle.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear this. So many people fail to understand PIP and even more so the ones that were claiming DLA. PIP is all about how your condition/s affect you in daily life but DLA was different to that. PIP is also about pain, discomfort, regularly and reliably. PIP is 20 metres, DLA was 50 metres and for this reason alone a lot of people are declined for the Enhanced mobility part. What your hubby needs to ask himself is can he walk 20 metres, regularly,reliably and without pain and discomfort but this is also the criteria for PIP. If he can't then he's classed as not being able to walk that distance.

Evidence can be anything from a letter from yourself explaining in full detail the things he needs help with. He can write a diary himself explaining his day to day life and what he struggles with. You'll need to base these on the PIP descriptors and try to prove he has these difficulties.

Most MR decisions remain the same so be prepared to take it to Appeal Tribunal. 65% of Tribunals are successful but he need to appear in court and not ask for a paper based decision. Most Tribunals are successful for those that appear as apposed to those that don't. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.