PIP Tribunal?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

Despite submitting new medical evidence for a mandatory review, from my GP , spinal surgeon and rheumatologist. Fourteen pieces in all. Despite them contacting Atos for comment , the DWP still have not increased my allowance.

I already feel absolute fatigue and stress as I also have to deal with pending spinal surgery. 

Is it really worth going to a PIP tribunal?

Any advise welcome.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes it is. Approx 60% of all appeals that go to a hearing are decided for the claimant. In other words only approx 40% of appeals go in favour of the DWP. This just shows that the way the DWP operate the PIP system is fatally flawed.
    • Posted

Thanks Les. I just feel so tired of it all already, part of me just wants to just give up, I could do without the extra stress.

But I will do it.

• Posted

Yes it is.

In my experience I don't believe the DWP DM looks at all the evidence. I was receiving standard DL when I reported my condition had gotten worse. After assessment I lost this and despite all the evidence I sent in the DMs decision notice read virtually word for word from the ATOS report. After MR I got standard back, so appealed, sending in more evidence.

At appeal I had a DWP bod there and straight away he mentioned evidence that they had failed to take into account and awarded standard mobility, at the end of appeal the DWP bod said I should have also received enhanced Daily living. The judge (who was lovely, as were they all) asked me what I thought and I said I believed I should also have enhanced mob and explained why.

Outcome, I was awarded enhanced for both and the judge clearly suggested to mr DWP that the tribunal had been uneccesssary as it was clear from form and evidence that this should have been the DWPs decision from the start

If you believe you are entitled to the higher rate, defo appeal, good luck

• Posted

Thank you

Apparently I have a 7 page reply coming for my mandatory review. They even sent it back to Atos for comment!

I feel desperate, I have a job to cope on my own now, my husband works and I really need some help now.

We both hoped it would get me some money or a career to help

• Posted

I helped a lady in our support group to prepare a mandatory reconsideration for a clearly unfair decision.  She got fresh medical evidence from her GP, which backed up everything we said.  The request was turned down.  I prepared a tribunal submission on exactly the same grounds and sent a copy of the GP report.  A week later the claimant got a phone call from the DWP to say that the tribunal had sent our submission and they had decided that the original decision was wrong.  She got enhanced rate for both components backdated to the date of the original decision and the tribunal was cancelled.

i believe that the mandatory reconsideration process is just another obstacle thrown at the claimant by the DWP in order to wear them down. Very few MRs are successful and I think this is deliberate in the hope that the claimant will simply accept an unfair decision and not go to tribunal. This is benefit savings by the back door - 60% of claimants who go to tribunal win.  If my example is anything to go by, if the evidence is strong it probably won't get as far as a hearing.  Yes, it's definitely worth it- fight for your rights and don't be fobbed off.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you, that's a very encouraging reply. I felt my evidence was really strong and I am reeling from the decision. You begin to doubt yourself.

• Posted

Hi im lou . I had my dla stopped in may and today was my HM COURTS TRIBUNAL they were fantastic and awarded enanced on both mobility and living. They told me they had allready email the social with the decision. When i got home i called the socal who said i was now in LIMBO as they have 28 days to look at this and if they want to go against it they will. I truly thought the tribunal had the last word. I have mental health problems and physical problem. Can anyone tell me what is right
    • Posted

Hi Lou, first of all the DWP will have to apply to the tribunal for the statement of reasons. Then they would have to find an error in law in the decision that was made. Rare finding in my oppinion. I wouldn't worry. Well done on your fantastic news. Relax now and wait is my advice as payments often take a while.

• Posted

I think maybe you've phoned the DWP too early if it was the same day as your tribunal.   It may be that they had emailed their decision to the DWP but they wouldn't have had time to to process it.  First of all it's important to realise that you are not being singled out.  What you were advised when you rang the DWP is normal practice.  What happens after the tribunal make their decision is as follows:

The tribunal submit their written decision to DWP, and the decision maker then considers whether there are any procedural errors such as a document relevant to the case not being received on time or a representative not being present. If a DWP presenting officer is present at the tribunal (which is not always the case) they may report some irregularity in the proceedings to the decision maker. If such an error is present, the DWP can then apply to have the decision set aside.  If this happened the case would be referred back to the tribunal to correct the error and remake the decision.

If the decision maker decides there may be grounds for appeal to a tier 2 tribunal, they will then have to apply to the first tier tribunal for their statement of reasons for the decision. They have to do this within 28 days of the notification of the tribunal's original decision.  An application for a tier 2 tribunal can only be made on a point of law.  If they decided to go ahead, a tier 2 tribunal would look again at the decision and either make a new decision or refer the case back to a new first tier panel for a new hearing.

In either case, the DWP would suspend the new decision until a final decision has been made, so your benefit award would not change until then.   If the DWP are applying to either have the decision set aside on grounds of procedural error, or they are applying for permission to appeal to a tier 2 tribunal they have to inform you in writing that they are doing so within 28 days of them receiving the statement of reasoning from the original tribunal - they cannot just leave you in 'limbo'.  

As Denise has rightly said, this very rarely happens - in my experience it's happened once.  This was when a claimants' original decision went from 4 points on the care component and zero points for mobility, to 12 points on care and 16 points on mobility, on appeal. This meant that the claimant went from no award at all the the enhanced rate on both components.  The DWP appealed to the tier 2 tribunal on what they considered to be a relevant point of law.  In the end, the decision was not changed as it was deemed correct and the DWP had to implement the award.

To sum up, I think you have just jumped the gun a little and you contacted the DWP before they had time to process the tribunal's decision.  You'll probably find that you get your decision letter within the next few days and all will be well.  

• Posted

Hi im lou. Ive been for my hm courts tribunal today and was so scared and in such a state but the outcome was what i thought was the best news ever. They gave my both enhanced mobility and living. This was till i got home . The tribunal told me they had emailed the social straight away so i called them. The social told me i was now in limbo as they hadv28 days to go against the decision. WHAT THE HELL i thought id been awarded this now. Its been going on since may whaen they took my DLA away. So i no how frustrating this is. I realy dont think they realise how the way this plays hell with your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.