Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi and thanks for reading. My daughter won her tribunal in March 2019. Had s letter then saying they were challenging it. I rang the tribunal service today who said the deadline is up in a weeks time. What I want to know is if DWP don't receive it by then what happens please? So very confused.

0 likes, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted

    I think if the appeal from DWP doesn't arrive in front of the tribunal by the due date the tribunal decision will stand and your daughters benefit will go through and be back dated

    Good luck

    Report Reply
  • Posted

    I believe the DWP can only challenge the tribunal on a point of law. If the tribunal done everything within the law then their decision sticks. Good luck

    Report Reply
  • Posted


    DWP can't appeal the decision without finding an error in law. To find this error they must first request the statement of reasons and record of proceedings and they have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this.

    Once HMCTS send this to them they have a further 1 month to appeal that decision. HMCTS can take as long as they want to send this to them and there's no timescales.

    Have another read of the letter that was received it most likely says they are requesting the statement of reasons. This doesn't mean they are appealing the decision.

    DWP sometimes request this but they very rarely appeal the decision.

    Backdated money after a Tribunal win can take 8 weeks, sometimes longer. I'm afraid there's nothing more you can do but wait. Hopefully it won't be too long.

    Report Reply
  • Posted


    This is the letter we received. Today tribunal service said deadline is one week away.

    Report Reply
    • Posted

      Yes, this means they has requested the statement of reasons (SOR) but it doesn't mean they are appealing the decision. They can't appeal without finding the error in law. They very rarely appeal

      As they've requested the SOR because HMCTS can take as long as they want to send it then this can delay the process of paying the backdated money they owe.

      Unfortunately, at this point there's nothing at all you can do but wait.

      Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up