PIP when you have savings

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband won a claim for an accident he had at work. This has left him disabled. We were claiming DLA which we paid back once the claim was settled. A claim for PIP is going through, as we have been advised that he should still get this. Is it wrong to claim this, I thought PIP was not means tested?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie,

PIP is based on how your condition affects you, not on what condition you have, but special rules apply if you're terminally ill. PIP:

Isn't means-tested. This means it isn't affected by any other income or savings that you have

Is non-contributory. This means your entitlement doesn't depend on the national Insurance contributions you've paid

Can be paid whether you're in work or out of work

Can be paid alongside other benefits

Isn't taxable

Is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)

Is intended to help with the extra costs of having a long-term condition. However, if you get PIP, you can spend it in any way you choose.

These details are correct for PIP, it is not affected by any savings you have (which I have indicated in the aforementioned list).

There is an actual publication available on the Government website, which is aptly called "PIP Myth Buster" if you require further details.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thank you for this, we have a visit next week as my husband is housebound. In the letter it says we should have bank statements and savings proof to hand ???
    • Posted

That is standard protocol, if you have savings or capital behind you. You can get statements from your bank, of it online banking you can access upto 7 years of statements.

Any statements prior to 7 years are not available to you, due to the Data Protection Act. You can however request a meeting with a bank employee to look at transactions beyond 7 years if need be, it is just by law they cannot print them out. I should hardly of though the DWP wants to see statements this old.

You can phone your bank and request statements, but it will depend how quickly you require them, normally it takes upto 5 working days.

Under Government Legislation you can only provide copies of statements to the DWP, therefore it is best to get them photocopied, or phone them beforehand and ask how what length of do they require bank statements from.

Hope this helps you and your husband.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Sorry, about spelling or grammar mistakes, but I got morning medication 'kicking in' and with me, it is a lot.
    • Posted

Thank you, I was just confused as to why they want them if savings are not relevant.

We just didn't want to claim if we are not allowed to, considering we had to pay the DWP back over £8000, for payments received while the claim was being settled/ ?

• Posted

keep shtum and keep claiming  i am an above the knee amputee and have and still am working full time i get the lowest mobility entitelment  18 pounds a week and thats  it !.   im blody disgusted with the system tbh one major limb missing and im classed as able bodies and why ???? becouse i wont sit on my ass all day long making up storys to get money . pad tax and nic all my life  as do most  .  i belive it is not means tested as you can still work and claim and havent seen any questions about savings , good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.