PIP1 Form Application

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am on permanent home parental nutrition and have it running through a Hickman line 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I am so overwhelming by the PIP form application I have tried filling it in so many times. I only had it 2 weeks ago now panicking because I had a issue prior to my CAB appointment so lost the time needed to have help. My application has to be done by Friday 10 February.

I have probably done a crazy thing but I looked up various forums, this one, benefit & works one, & smaller sites. I saw your response to someone saying that you know an organisation that could help me.

I have Crohn's disease with having to have my whole large bowel removed including the part of the body that allows toilet visits. I now have short bowel syndrome which causes extreme high output stoma. I also have mental health issues which I have had various appointments with psychiatrists, psychologists, support workers but no better - I have no self worth and am constantly in tears and extremely depressed and cannot do various tasks because of this along side crohn's arthritis, mouth ulcers, psoriasis, eye problems, chronic back pain, pain from scarring both from external and internal. I also have osteoporosis having a fused spine losing 4" since I was diagnosed when I was 32. I am now 58.

I am at a loss what to do for the last week the DWP have been texting me and now had a letter asking why haven't they received the form. They have said ring if I needed more time but if I did that would it go against me?

I just don't know what to do as I'm told PIP is only short-term 2-5 years my condition will never get better due to the amount of surgery I've had my gut and what it does will never improve. I have indefite for both DLA higher rate. My illness doesn't seem to cover the criteria that PIP want and require. My hospital and GP state that they cannot give me any info backing my claim as the government have now made medical notes availability private which to get would cost by a highly hourly rate. I just don't what to do?

I saw your advice to someone and wondered if you give me some advice and the organisation that could possibly help me.

Many thank Les,



0 likes, 14 replies


14 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi, I can't help with any organisation but as far as asking for extra time you should.  I got two extra weeks which seems quite normal initially.  Sometimes they'll give a further two weeks but just phone up, get the two weeks, and take a bit of the stress off yourself.  If you get it done before that you can still send it but taking the worry away briefly will help you focus.

  • Posted

    Hi Sallie,

    First of all I would give the dwp a ring and ask for some more time. It shouldn't go against you I wouldn't have thought.

    I had to apply on my sons behalf and with pip, it's more about how things affect you on a daily basis.

    I filled out the form but also added 13 pages of additional notes going into great detail about firstly his diagnosis and secondly how these things affect him daily.

    I then wrote out the questions and answered them on the additional notes in more detail than I was able to on the form as they don't really give you enough space to do so.

    Any medical notes/ reports etc that you have send those off with the form and additional notes too.

    i don't know what else I can advise really, other than be thorough and don't leave anything out.

    Good luck with everything.


  • Posted

    Hi, Age UK are really good at helping with these forms, so i heard. I'm not in that age group as yet so have never used them. You can get their number if you google "age uk"

    As for extra time to complete the form please ring them and they'll happily give you a couple of extra weeks. This will take the stress off a little.

    Evidence can be anything from a letter from your GP, a list of all current medication and even a letter written either by yourself or from someone that knows you well. Consultant letters, Occupational Therapist reports but ideally these should be less than 2 years old. As clearly stated on a recent PIP form than i filled out. PIP awards are maxium 10 years with reviews being 1 year before a current award is due to end. Good luck and hopefully you'll get some help from age UK.

  • Posted

    Hi I am sorry to hear about all yout problems.  There should be a disability centre near you and they can visit you if you are housebound.   They are experts at filling in the form in so have a look in your area for one.   I don't think asking for more time would affect your claim.  Good luck with it.  x


  • Posted

    Hi Sallie, the advice you've already had from other people is good, do ask DWP for extra time, it shouldn't count against you, and do try and get help, either if there's a disability support organisation, or CAB. There's a national Crohn's disease organisation, are they able to give you help? Also, do put PIP into a search engine, there are some good guides, from CAB and turn to us, they explain what the different criteria are, a nd what you must need hep with to score points, it is all far narrower than DLA. 

    above all, stay as calm as you can, put down as much detail as possible. If you are called for an assessment then consider asking for it at home, they can do this if you are limited in your mobility, and make sure you have someone with you, for support, and to act as a witness, as often the assessor is not very accurate in what they write down.

    hope all the advice you have had is useful, and good luck

    • Posted

      Thanks Hun really great advice. I will certainly do what you recommend. Rung them today and I now have an extra two weeks so just chilling today.
  • Posted

    Does your GP have your records on a computer or are they still on paper?  If they're on a computer you can ask for a copy of them all and the maximum they can charge is £10.  If they're on paper the maximum is £50.  If they're mixed you can ask just for the electronic records and will still only be charged £10 - this is what I did and I got over 10 years of records.

    If you ask for a letter to support your claim they sometimes charge a lot more but you might find something useful in your records.  I got mine and I had letters that my GP had sent to consultants, discharge letters from the hospital.  Blood test results.  Medication lists.  I found out the dates when each condition had started.  I asked for mine on a computer disc so I was able to search very easily.  Some surgeries print them out instead but it could be worth speaking to them about this.

    The link below explains the charges and the process.  It says they have 40 days to provide the records but it's unlikely they would take this long.  


    • Posted

      Hi Scally

      I did contact my surgery we don't have good desk/office/reception staff the woman at the desk claimed I wasn't making any sense as there wasn't such a thing. Even showed the NHS website about it!!

      I posted my application with every consultant letter, discharge letters from the date of my last DLA indefinite assessments to the present day from all the hospitals and healthcare professionals and my 22 page extra page information backing my right to claim. Just stuck to the facts. When I receive anything I'll post the response. Many thanks 🙂

    • Posted

      Ps Scally I did put in a written request to my GP practice but no reply as yet x

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up