PIP2 APPLICATION FORM AND NOTES

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi again. Could anyone please advise me when PIP2 application form and notes were first issued? The reason I ask is I was sent and completed PIP1, but had I received PIP2 which differs to some degree in the questions and in the accompanying notes, then I would not have had the problems which I have had with my claim and decisions.

btw - I am proceeding with my appeal at the decision about my claim - thanks to the very helpful advise from Denise on this forum and the information from the links provided.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You should have been sent the PIP2 form.  The PIP1 form is only rarely sent out these days, most people complete this over the phone or have a bit of a fight to get it sent out as I did.  When this is received they are supposed to send out the PIP2 form.  

If a person doesn't return the PIP2 form the DWP often put a stop the claimant's DLA (if it's a transfer) or they may simply end the claim if it's a claim directly for PIP.  If there is a reason why a claimant might have difficulty claiming, for example mental health problems, the DWP might have a record of this on their system.  In this case if the claimant doesn't return the PIP2 form the DWP might send them directly to an assessment.  Is this what happened with you?  No PIP2 form received or completed but you had an assessment?  Did you explain your difficulties in detail in writing prior to the assessment?  If this is the case you might not have received the PIP2 form but they might have a reason to believe you would need additional help so they sent you for the assessment rather than stopping your claim completely.  I don't know if this is the case, just guessing really based on what I've read on other forums and in the guide (see below).

If the claimant questionnaire is not returned and the claimant has been identified as having a mental or cognitive impairment, the claim will be referred direct to the AP for assessment. See section 2.12 for more information. 

• Posted

Thanks Scally.

In retrospect I may have misinterpreted which form I was sent (as my photocopy does not have a ref code). However, the key point I was trying to make or find out is how the decision-maker and assesor can take this information and use it to stop the claimant receiving PIP. Harsh? I don`t think so, given that the decision-maker relies on the word of the assessor and uses a points system which the claimant is not aware of (and in my case only discovered through info on websites such as CAB). I have since discovered that if I had been told of the criteria then the emphasis in my reply would have highlighted the difficulties I have and as such should be considered for points in the food preparation/cooking catagory.

With detailed assessment by the local council social services and my care providers, I am going to appeal the decision.

• Posted

I agree it's harsh.  I was aware of the points and I wrote my claim form to show clearly where I met the criteria.  I didn't exaggerate anything, I was simply highlighting my difficulties in terms of the criteria rather than waffling about things that would have been ignored - I could easily have done this as I have a lot of problems that aren't covered by any of the activities.  One example where I feel I should have got 12 points is the following a route activity.  When I read the descriptors and points for this I thought there was no doubt I would get it as my condition fits the descriptor so well.  I got zero points for this activity.  I wonder why I was even asked to complete the form because so much of it was ignored. 

I hope you get the result you are hoping for after your MR or appeal.  I'm going for MR at the moment and finding it very difficult.  I provided plenty of evidence but it was ignored in favour of what the assessor wrote.  She was quite selective in her report.  Anything I said that would have supported higher points was conveniently left out of the report!

• Posted

Hi Scally.

I was interested to read about your particular case where the descriptors indicate one thing and the decision maker comes to a different interpretation based on the word of the assessor. This also applies in my case. The original decision and the MR were both highly selective in interpreting why I do not qualify under one part of the claim (feeding/cooking). Since my last post, I have done some searching at home and have found documents regarding the assessment by the council social services as to why I need care support. This has nothing to do with DLA or claims for that, is independently assessed and flies in the face of the assessor and the decision maker and totally supports my claim made for MR including the criteria to meet the descriptors for PIP. Also I too had experiences of the assessor leaving out evidence in my claim, no explanation as to why and for what reason certain tasks, including those I was unable to do, were requested, and no indication as to what was and what was not relevant to PIP - as well as the all-seeing eyes referred to in another post.

I`m pressing ahead with my appeal and with advice suggested on other posts am seriously considering attending the hearing, even though it means a taxi which I may not be compensated for (Capita sent me a claim form for attending my assessment and then rejected it with a list of criteria (that buzz word again) which they said I failed to meet but no indication which of these I failed to meet.

I hope that your MR is successful. Good luck and thanks for your words which are encouraging.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.