Piriformis Syndrome and AS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone else suffer from piriformis syndrome that has AS?  I've been bothered with it for 16 years or more.  Doctor has me doing PT but it seems to be aggravating it even more.

Gina

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with piriformus about 10 yrs before being diagnosed with AS.  I, too, was given PT exercises for piriformus, which, unlike your case, helped.  I still do these exercises now.  Doesn't make sense that the exercises aren't giving you relief....do you think it would be worth your while to see the PT again and let him know the problem?

• Posted

I'm currently undergoing PT.  When I turn my foot/leg outward, it gives me relief from the pain by relaxing the muscle.  All the exercises they have me doing to stretch the muscle which make it taunt cause pressure on the nerve.  My tailbone has been inflamed for the past 6 months.  The piriformis attaches to the sacrum and the trochanter.  The attachments hurt as well as pressure against the nerve causing  the sciatica.  I wonder if this is a common problem with people that have AS and they just don't know what it is.

• Posted

I was also given exercises to address sciatica.  The PT said it is tricky doing both sets of exercises....you know, now that you mention it, I think the sciatica exercises are benefiting me more than the piriformus exercises.  The piriformus exercises do sort of give me aches while the sciatica exercises help alleviate the low back ache as well as the tingling discomfort radiating down the leg.  Yes, I did not know I had AS until years later....did not see a rheumatologist until later at which time he did bloodwork to diagnose.

• Posted

What type of bloodwork did you have?  I'm HLA-B27 negative, but I have a high CRP.  Sed rate (ESR) does not work on me since I have abnormal RBC morphology due to Hereditary Elliptocytosis and Thalassemia minor.  I have RBC's shaped like hot dog buns and many microcytic (smaller than normal) cells.  Because of this, the cells do not stack right and therefore do not fall even though I have lots of inflammation, and yet my rheumy continues ordering it even after I tell him it doesn't work on me.  What types of sciatica exercises do you do?  I would like to give them a try.

• Posted

Hmm...negative HLAB27 is unusual if you have AS.  Mine is positive.  My CRP fluctuates....I have been on various meds.  Do not know what is ESR.

sorry, the rest of your message is Greek to me....doesn't sound pleasant.  I would be glad to share the exercises.  If you want to contact me privately, I can send the exercises via email.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.