Piriformis syndrome with sciatica

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi has anyone on here been diagnosed with piriformis syndrome? I have had several KRIs from brain straight down through pelvic plus an EMG and everything has come back normal. My family doctor actually thought it was all in my head. Went to see pain doctor explained my symptoms and brought my test results. He did a physical exam and palpitated my muscles and diagnosed me with piriformis syndrome and ordered physical therapy. Went to PT where they basically ran through the same exam and confirmed my diagnosis.

I have been doing my PT religiously including my at home exercises. It has only been a week but it seems that my sciatica symptoms are getting worse. Does anyone know if this is normal? I keep hoping this is because the nerve is being released and has started the healing process.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I had something like piriformis syndrome that a lot of chronic pain patients get, it's pelvic floor syndrome.  All of your pelvic floor muscles become chronically irritated and contracted resulting in pain, problems in urination with burning like you have an infection, painful sex, lower abdominal pain like you are walking around with a fire constantly lit down there.  It took me about six months of twice weekly pelvic floor physical therapy plus home work ( all incredibly painful) to rid myself of all this pain.  At first I got worse before I got better.  I was ready to drop out, but they make all patients sign a contract that you will stay with the therapy until you are discharged, otherwise the doctor refuses to see you again LOL. So, you have no option but to complete the PT if you want your GYN to help you.  I dreaded those sessions for about a month.  It took about that long for her to get my muscles to finally let go.  That's what piriformis syndrome is too, the nerve is entrapped by the overly contracted muscles and you can no longer consciously get them to relax.  The whole point of the PT sessions was to first get everything calmed down and then to re-teach you control of the region.  It wasn't fun, and as I said, it took about six months for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.