Pituitary Tumor

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with a tumor on my pituartary gland. I have been experiencing extremely high blood pressur (225/117). Mainly in the middle of the night. I feel like I am having adrenaline rushes in the middle of the night and servere anxiety during the day.

My prolactin levels are at 12, I don't think it's a prolactinoma. I am 59 years old and post menopausal. The last year has been a hard one from an emotional stressful standpoint. What are ways that I can learn to cope with this?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

First and foremost, a pituitary tumour is almost never cancerous, If that is what is keeping you awake, you can relax.

More practically, the pituitary is only the size of a pea but it is the "Fat Controller" for most of the important hormonal systems in the body. It sends out signal hormones to the major organs like adrenals, gonads, thyroid, etc telling them to produce or stop producing the major hormones. So even a small tumour can have strange effects. Prolactin is just one of these hormones. Hopefully your endocrinologist has told you what else is happening: push to get it in writing if you haven't already as having actual data will tell you what is normal and what is not.

Coming back to your specific question about learning to cope: I strongly advise that you talk to (preferably join) your nearest pituitary society. For the UK and Ireland, it is pituitary.org.uk. Your experience is very common as the diagnosis [and the disease] is very stressful and you may well find it helpful just to talk to someone who already knows how you are feeling.

Best wishes.

• Posted

check for cushing's syndrome increaed cortisol from either adrenals or pituitary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.