Pituitary tumour psychological symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve had two blood test indicating high prolactin levels and I display most symptoms of a prolactinoma, I’m not getting an mri for another 3 weeks and I’m feeling rather anxious to understand what’s going on in the even I do have one.  I’ve read a lot about the psychological symptoms of a prolactinoma but it seems to be less discussed than the physical symptoms. I’m 24 and I’ve suffered from depression and anxiety as well as concentration and memory problems for 6 years now, nothing has helped me so far and I’ve always felt not like myself and as if something was wrong with me, I’m wondering if anyone here has experience with personality changes and metal illness associated with a Pituitary tumour, and whether with the treatment of the tumour the psychological symptoms reduce? 

Thankyou in advance. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered from a pituitary Tumor since 1996, at first like you I felt unwell and my personality changed from a one of empathy too one of anger and I became very argumentative, which was totaly out of line for me as a person.I was put onto medication which was of great help too me and I found a change in a very short period of time. Some find the medication hard too take but I myself had no real problems with it. I most recently spoke too another man who told me that he has been diagnosed with a pituitary Tumor, which made him feel quite ill, until he was diagnosed and put onto treatment. I became a member of the pituitary society, which when you join you receive a magazine with stories of others that have pituitary Tumors, you can also contact them with any concerns you may have, which puts you mind at rest. Please don’t worry yourself over this diagnosis, but wait for confirmation after your MRI scan, and take it from there. I took meds from 1996, until four years ago, when after blood tests they told me it was none functioning and took me off them. Good luck, and don’t worry.
  • Posted

Just wanted to support and agree with what Kren said. The Pituitary Foundation [pituitary dot org dot uk] has free-to-download material on exactly this experience. See their 'Information' tab. Lots of other useful info too. You don't need to join the Foundation though I think you need to register to do downloads. When I was at the same stage as you are now, I found it very helpful indeed.

• Posted

I’ve personally experienced personality changes unfortunately. I’m EXTREMELY moody and irritable majority of the day. I often too feel like I’m not myself and that I’m literally trapped in my own, it’s kind of hard to explain.

I’ve only been prescribed Cabergoline and eventually got off because I realized it put me in a “blah” mood and that I had almost no motivation for anything 

• Posted

hello, how long did it take for the side effects from cabergoline to

go after stopping it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.