Pityrias Rosea - please help..?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

i hope someone can help - about 5 days ago I noticed a red patch on my arm that has gradually got much bigger, it's now a large red circle with raised bumps/skin around the edge of the circle with a slightly flat centre, I've also noticed at least 4-5 other red marks, a bit like bites/spots - I went on google and was convinced it was ringworm (yuck) so have been using canesten anti fungal cream over the problematic areas, have been totally paranoid about it spreading and have frantically been washing bedding, linen, sheets etc etc - it's also worth mentioning that I've also had the most awful cold, sore throat, headache, tiredness and loss of appetite for just under a week, feel pretty rubbish to be honest - I'm now thinking it could be pityriasis rosea, as this would link, my headache is horrible and I've been very congested too - can anyone please help??! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Google is not a good resource when you're trying to identify a rash (I know!) PR usually comes on after or during a viral infection, so it could very easily be that. Have you been to a doctor or an Urgent Care facility? They can usually diagnose it properly. Antifungal creams won't work on PR. If your red marks start to look like blotches kind of like insenct bites only not raised, that's probably PR. The "herald spot" is the first spot to appear and it's usually a small red mark that gets bigger before the rest of the rash starts appearing.

The good news is that PR is NOT contagious, so no need to overdo it with the cleaning! Definitely make an appt to see a doctor to get this officially diagnosed, though. 

• Posted

Thank you for your help, I've not been to the GP yet, I think I'll need to go, it's really stressing me out! I've still got a horrible cold, I'm not sure i would still have this with PR x

• Posted

Hi Rachelle,  you really should see your doctor as your symptoms of 'awful cold,sore throat etc,'could be the start of a flu virus or something totally not Pityriasis Rosea. Much better a second opinion, don't you think?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.