Pityriasis rosea. Burning while healing

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering from this horrible rash for the last one month. It's everywhere from the scalp to my toes, even in my palms. The rashes have started flaking almost everywhere. But I get skin becomes dry easily and I get occasional burning sensation. The rashes also give a pricking sensation when I go out in the sun / when my body becomes warm. Is this normal?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Have you gone to the doctor yet? I'm asking because I don't think it's normal for this type of rash to be on your palms; this could be a symptom of something else.

• Posted

I went to the doctor twice. On the second visit, he diagnosed it to be pityriasis. The herald patch was clearly visible then. The rash in my palms does do not itch or burn. But the one in my neck,trunk, back, arms and legs get super agitated if I go out in the sun (Austin, TX).
  • Posted

Yes the same thing happened to me. You need to keep your skin covered as much as you can out in the sun. The coconut oil really helped for my dryness. Eucerin Professional repair worked as well, but once I ran out of my samples from dermatologist I went back to the organic coconut oil which worked just as well. Purchased it off of Amazon
    • Posted

Thanks annette87714. Good to know. I think I will stay indoors and work from home until the skin condition gets better. 

Did you get some on your hands or feet?. I have a few that are small and look like blisters. A couple of the big ones have the skin in the middle already peeling off.

• Posted

That's great that you can work from home!! I did have a few on my hands, none on my feet...mainly my stomach,back,butt,and thighs (whole trunk area!!) The peeling/dried up stage is the beginning of the end!! Hang in there..

• Posted

Hmmmm, another reason to get a biopsy from your doctor. 1) usually not on hands, feet or face. 2) NEVER blisters. This is a dry rash, there is no liquid of any kind in any part of the rash. Unless you are saying they "look" like blisters because they are raised.

I agree, pure coconut oil to keep it moist.

• Posted

I agree...you may want to get a 2nd opinion, I did. I have heard that people had the breakouts on their face, hands, and feet as well ( my dermatologist mentioned to m as well)...However, its always best to get a 2nd opinion and/or additional testing. Hoping this is a distant memory for you very soon!!

• Posted

You are right. There is no liquid. They look like blisters. But they have already flattened. The place where they are dark brown and the skin there feels thicker than the rest of the hands.
    • Posted

When I went to the doctor, it was actually 2 of them that looked into the rash and said that it is pityriasis. The first doctor was not completely sure. So he called in another doctor who confirmed that it is pityriasis. I will however get myself checked again with another doctor. 

For me the worst part was my neck, armpits and abdomen. The itching was bad until last week. The itching has stopped now. It's just the burning that's irritating me now.

• Posted

Yeah, I think it might be wise to get another doctor check it out. In all the research that I did when I had it a couple of months ago, there was never a case of having it on the palms.

I made sure to get some sun daily. Just a few minutes on each side seemed to help. It would sting for awhile but I kept at it. I think the rash reacts to the UV or something. And I feel you on the Texas heat. I'm in San Antonio and it's been brutal. I really hope you start clearing up soon, though. Best of luck!

• Posted

Sure. I will check with the doctor soon.

The heat in Austin over the last week is unbearable. I am trying to get up early in the morning and get my rashes exposed to the sun.

Btw... I have attached the pictures of how the rashes in my hands look.

• Posted

Your rash on you hands look like the rash I had on my hips. Still get 2nd opinion to be sure...
    • Posted

Hmmm, I would investigate palmoplantar lichen. Looks a lot more like that than it does PR. Often misdiagnosed. A lot of doctors say it is PR when it is actually lichen. Did they do a biopsy?
    • Posted

I checked again with another doctor. The doctor said it's PR. No biopsy done though. The itching drastically reduced in the last week. I am using coconut oil + grapeseed oil + tea tree oil mix. I get a tingling sensation on the irritating/dry parts when I use it. Here are tow picture of the infection in my trunk taken 1 week apart. One the first pic, the herald patch on my abdomen is clearly seen. I had a similar one in my thigh too.

• Posted

Grr. The order of the picture got changed.
    • Posted

Sorry for the spam. The pictures were not clear. Here are the high res ones.
    • Posted

LOL. I am much better now. Only a few in my hands and legs that are yet to start flaking. I was told it's an atypical case. Even had some under my eye brows, scalp and forehead. 

• Posted

That's exactly how my PR looked. The Tea Tree & Coconut Oil provided GREAT relief from the itch after cool showers twice a day with medicated Selsun Blue. The photo therapy is what cleared me up ( twice a week for 2 wks)...I wish I had done it sooner!! So happy to hear that you are starting to heal!!

• Posted

Hi

What is photo therapy??and did you use selsun blue shampoo?? I’ve been using head and shoulder as body wash. I’m willing to try anything 

• Posted

Photochemotherapy is an VERY expensive way of saying tanning. Some doctors recommend it for psoriasis, but it has shown very little effectiveness for PR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.